Public procurement in the UK and the rest of the European Union is governed by a number of Directives and Regulations which are then implemented in national legislation.
The most recent of which is the Public Contracts Regulations 2015.
In addition, each Local Authority is required by Section 135 of the Local Government Act 1972 to have Contract Standing Orders.
The purpose of these is to ensure that the Council:
- Has a structure in which purchasing decisions are made and implemented
- Uses its resources efficiently
- Purchases high-quality, value-for-money goods, services and works that are fit for purpose.
All Council contracts will be advertised on:
- The Council’s e-procurement web portal, capitalEsourcing.com
- Contracts Finder, a Central Government website for the posting of opportunities
- Supplement of the Official Union Journal of the European Union (OJEU)- When the value of a contract exceeds the EU thresholds.