Safeguarding Adults Board (SAB)
The Care Act has said that Newham Council must set up a Safeguarding Adults Board (SAB). Newham has had a SAB since 2006 however the Act now gives further direction and duties.
The main objective of a SAB is to assure itself that local safeguarding arrangements and its partners act to help and protect adults across Newham.
A SAB has three core duties
1. Publish a strategic plan
To outline, for each financial year how it will meet its main objective and what the members will do to achieve this.
The plan must be developed with local community involvement, and the SAB must consult the local Healthwatch organisation.
The plan should be evidence based and make use of all available evidence and intelligence from partners.
2. Publish an annual report
- What the SAB has done during the year to achieve its main objective and implement its strategic plan
- What each member has done to implement the strategy
- The findings of any Safeguarding Adults Reviews (SAR) and subsequent action.
3. Conduct any Safeguarding Adults Reviews
In accordance with Section 44 of the Care Act.(A SAR is an in-depth review carried out where someone dies or is seriously injured as a result of neglect and abuse)
The Newham SAB has an Independent Chair - Fran Pearson, contact email given at the bottom of this page.
There must also be three core members who should be decision makers for their service:
- The Local Authority (LA)
- The Metropolitan Police Service (MPS)
- The Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG).
The Board is made up of a number of organisation's including people from the following:
- Newham Adult Social Services(DASS)
- LBN Housing
- Barts Health Hospital Trust
- East London Foundation Trust (Health and Mental Health)
- Care Quality Commission
- London Probation Service
- Newham Safeguarding Children's Board
- London Ambulance Service
- London Fire Brigade
- Healthwatch Newham
- Voiceability Advocacy Services
- Age UK Newham
- Newham Councillor Zulfiqar Ali.
The SAB meets 4 times a year. There are sub groups that works on the priorities set by the board which report then back the SAB.