Sexual Health and HIV Services

Rape and sexual assault

BSL Support

Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC)

A sexual assault is a crime no matter who commits it, or where it takes place. It can happen to men and women and can range from inappropriate touching to rape.

A sexual assault referral centre (SARC) is a place you can find help and medical care and where you will be taken seriously.

You don't need a referral, you can access the service 24 hours and the service is free. Everything you talk about is confidential and the service will not inform the police until you tell them to.

Find rape and sexual assault referral centres

Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre

They provide support for female and male victims, partners, family and friends. If you decide to tell the police, you will be seen by a specially trained doctor.

Other places that may help you are:

  • Your local GUM clinic
  • A&E hospital department
  • Your GP
  • Young people's service
  • Police (you will be seen by a specially trained police officer and doctor).