What is safeguarding and how to raise a concern

How to raise a concern about an adult in Newham

BSL Support

In an emergency situation call 999. If you want to report any other type of crime call 101.

Member of the public

If you want to:

  • Report abuse
  • Find out more information
  • Raise a concern because you are worried about an adult at risk of abuse or neglect.

Please call the 24 hour Safeguarding helpline on 020 3373 0440.

During office hours (Monday to Friday - 9am to 5pm), please select option 1 where your call will be handled by a member of the Access Team. Calls made outside of these hours will be picked up by Newham Telecare.

Alternatively, you can use our short online form to report suspected abuse or raise a concern and someone from Adult Social Care will call you back.

Raise a safeguarding adult concern form


Professionals must complete the following Safeguarding Adults Form. For statutory services please ensure you include senior management directions within the comments / other information box.

Raise a safeguarding concern as a professional (Word)

Once completed, please return to ASCsafeguardingconcerns@newham.gov.uk

What happens next

Once we get your information, we will look at your concerns to decide on our next actions.

We may contact you, if you have given permission and your contact information.

Your details and contact information will remain confidential to us if you request this, or you can decide to make an anonymous report.

We will speak to the person you are concerned about to find out what they would like to happen.

We may need to speak to other people to get or share more information, but we will ask permission to do this. Sometimes the police may get involved.