Conservation areas and listed buildings in Newham

Additional planning controls: Article 4 Directions

If you live in a conservation area you may need planning permission before you can extend or alter your home in a way that would normally be allowed under permitted development due to additional controls called Article 4 Directions.

Conservation areas where Article 4 Directions currently apply.

  • Durham Road
  • Romford Road
  • Woodgrange Road

For more information about the areas covered, please see the Conservation areas in Newham: Documents page.

Work that needs consent includes:

  • Replacing windows, doors and roof materials
  • Forming new hard surfaces for parking or other uses, or laying new surfaces over existing ones
  • Demolishing or rebuilding walls and fences
  • Adding extensions, dormer windows or satellite dishes
  • Painting, cladding or pebble-dashing walls
  • Removing stucco work, canopies or other details.

We will only allow work which keeps or improves the look and character of the conservation area. If you are not sure whether you need permission, contact the duty planning officer. You can also request pre application advice – for householders, written advice is free of charge.