What is the Newham Local Plan Review?
The Local Plan is the key planning document which the Council uses to assess planning applications and to decide where regeneration and development happen in Newham.
The new Local Plan will help guide our decisions on:
- the location, amount and type of development in the borough
- the standards that development should meet
- what development should look like
- what services and infrastructure are needed and where
- how all residents will benefit from the growth and development
All Councils are required to have an up-to-date Local Plan. We are refreshing ours so we can plan for the next 15 years and deliver our key objectives: inclusive growth, delivering a fairer Newham, and addressing our climate emergency.
Local Plan Review Stages
The review of the Local Plan is taking place over a three-year period, with three rounds of consultation and engagement.
- Issues and Options Consultation.This took place from October to December 2021
- Draft Local Plan Consultation (Regulation 18) This took place from January to February 2023.
- Submission Local Plan (Regulation 19) *Next step*
The full timetable can be found in the Local Development Scheme (PDF).