Starting in Reception - September 2020
Your child must start education once he or she is five. On this page you can find out how to apply for a place in reception class in primary school.
For information on how to apply for other classes in primary school, go to our In year admissions page.
If your child was born between 1 September 2015 and 31 August 2016, you will need to apply for a reception class place in primary school for September 2020.
If your child lives in Newham you will need to apply through us. But if your child lives outside Newham, but you want him or her to go to school in Newham, you will need to apply through the local authority in the borough you live in.
Remember, you must always apply for a place, even if your child:
- Already goes to the nursery at the school you prefer
- Has an older brother or sister at the school you prefer
- Lives in the catchment area for the school you prefer.
What to do before you apply
Before you apply:
- Read our current Starting school guide (PDF)
- Visit our Primary School Fact Finder
- Read the admission rules for each of the schools you wish to apply to
- Read any extra rules published by the school if it is oversubscribed (has more applicants than places)
- Decide which schools to apply to; you can name six
- Read the eAdmissions information leaflet (PDF).