In year admissions (also known as mid-phase or mid-term admissions)
If you want to apply for a primary or secondary school place in Newham once the school year has started a family must complete and submit an in-year school admission application.
In year applications are for a child who:
- Has never attended school in Newham and is arriving or has arrived, to live in Newham, from elsewhere in England or outside of England
- Is returning to education in Newham from elsewhere in England or outside of England
- Is a Newham resident who is currently educated in a school outside of Newham
- Is currently being educated at home or with private tutors
- Is currently attending private fee paying school
- Is living and is educated outside of Newham and wants a school place in Newham
- Wants to change (transfer) schools within Newham – this includes if the child has been offered a place and has not started at the named school
For a child with an Education Health and Care plan family’s must contact the 0-25 Service of their home local authority – the in year application process does not apply.
All local authorities (councils) have a legal duty to ensure they have sufficient school places for all resident children.
For all children living in Newham, we will offer a school place at one of the family’s preferred schools or allocate an alternative if preference cannot be met, if the child does not already have a state funded school place or the offer of a school place in Newham.
If a child has a state funded school place in Newham we will only offer a place if a place can be offered at one of the family’s current named preferred schools. This means the school must have a vacancy in the child’s year group and/or the child must be number one on the current waiting list.
For any family who wants their child to change schools within Newham they should always speak to their current school first. This will enable them to discuss if a change of school may will be in the child’s best interest and/or current concerns before completing an in year application form.
Do not use this application for a:
- Planned move into a child’s first reception class
- Transfer from an infant to junior school
- Transition from primary to secondary school
How we offer in-year school places
All In year applications will be processed and added to our database within 2 working days.
The child is considered for a place at each of the schools named as a preference on their family’s current application. Decisions are made by the admission authority for the school. If it is possible for a child to be offered a place at more than one of the schools named as a preference, we then look at the rank order of your preferences and offer the highest of those that can be offered.
If it is not possible to offer a place at any of the named preferred schools, if the child is a Newham resident and does not have a school place or an offer of a place in the borough, we will allocate an alternative place at the closest school to a family’s home address that has a place in the child’s year group. This may not be close to their home but will be the closest with a vacancy.
If we cannot offer a place at any of the schools named in your application, we will give your child a place at the school closest to your home with a suitable space.
Apply for an in-year school place (2021/22)
Before applying for a school place parents/carers should consider;
- Where the schools are located in the borough;
- How the child will get to school each day, on time;
- What will be the cost of travel;
- The admission arrangements for the schools a family is interested in;
Find a primary school
Use our primary school fact finder to find useful information on schools you want to apply to.
Find a secondary school
Use our secondary school fact finder to find useful information on schools you want to apply to.
You can find out how to apply and complete the online in-year application form on the next page.