Starting in Reception - September 2021
Admissions to a reception class in September 2021
For all children born between 1 September 2016 and 31 August 2017, their parents/carers must to apply for a reception school place for September 2021.
For information on how to apply for entry into other year groups in secondary school, go to our In year admissions page.
Starting reception in an infant or primary school
In London since 2004, the 33 London boroughs and some of the Home Counties operate a Pan London coordinated scheme 2021/22 (PDF) every family must apply to their home borough. This means if they live in Newham they must apply through Newham even if their child attends a nursery school outside of Newham or they are only interested in reception classes in another borough.
Remember, parents/carers must apply for a place, even if:
- They want their child to go to the local school.
- Their child has an older brother or sister at the school.
The law does not allow us to reserve reception places.
What to do before applying
- Read our current Starting Primary School guide (PDF) – this is also known as our composite prospectus
- Visit our Primary School Fact Finder
- Read the admission arrangements for each school being considered as a preference
- Decide which schools to apply for, we strongly recommend parent/carers name six.
- Check to see if a school they are considering require a Supplementary Information Form (SIF) – in Newham this only applies to the Catholic primary schools and St. Luke’s Church of England Primary School.
- Read the eAdmissions information leaflet on applying (PDF).