Council Tax Reduction

If you are on a low income, you may be entitled to some help towards paying your Council Tax. This is called Council Tax Reduction (CTR).

​Who can get Council Tax Reduction (CTR)?

You can claim CTR whether or not you are:
  • receiving other benefits, tax credits, or pensions
  • working
  • unemployed
  • unable to work due to illness or disability
  • caring for a child or adult
  • students who are liable for council tax
  • retired
But not everyone who makes a claim is entitled to receive it. 
You cannot get CTR if you have more than £16,000 in savings, stocks and shares or other capital unless you also receive Guaranteed Pension Credit.
The best way to find out if you can get CTR is to make a claim.

Second adult rebate

Second Adult Rebate is only available if you are a pensioner.

If you are a pensioner and you are not entitled to Council Tax Reduction, you may be able to get a second adult rebate.

You will not be able to get a second adult rebate as well as Council Tax Reduction. If you are entitled to both, you will receive whichever is the higher.

You should apply for Council Tax Reduction and you will receive second adult rebate if you are entitled to it.


Make a claim for Council Tax Reduction (CTR)

To claim Council Tax Reduction you must fill in our Council Tax Reduction application form:
Read the Direction of the Chief Excutive for further information about making a claim electronically.
If you can't complete the online claim form we will send you a paper claim form. Fill out this short request form or call us on 020 8430 2000 to ask for a paper claim form to be sent to you.

Filling in the paper application form

You must follow the instructions on the form, tick the relevant boxes, and make sure you fully fill it in. 
The form looks long, but we need to ask a lot of questions to make sure everyone gets the right amount of benefit.
If someone else fills in the form for you, they must sign it in the space provided.
If you need help filling in the form, we can arrange for someone to visit you.To make an appointment call us on 020 8430 2000.

Send your completed form to:

Newham Benefits Service
PO Box 23504
E15 4UU


Claiming Housing Benefit

If you pay rent you can also claim Housing Benefit using the same form, unless you are of working age and claim Universal Credit. This is because your Universal Credit will include an allowance towards your rent.
If you have made your application for Housing Benefit through the Department for Work and Pensions, such as with your Job Seeker’s Allowance application, you will need to make a separate claim to us for Council Tax Reduction.

Proof of identity and evidence

To support your claim, we will need to see original documents as proof of identity and evidence of your circumstances. The application form tells you what information we need in each section.
Do not send us valuable items, such as bank books, driving licences, or passports, in the post. We will contact you to make an appointment if we need you to provide further evidence.

Original documents we need

Send us your form even if you don't have the original documents. If you delay sending us your form you could lose money. If we need more information from you we will write you to tell you what we need.


To prove your identity (and your partner if you have one) you will need to provide two per person of the following:
  • birth certificate, marriage/divorce certificate, separation or annulment papers (in your current name)
  • passport (current and valid) or National Identity Card 
  • medical card
  • gas, electricity, phone or water rates bill, but not a mobile phone bill, in your name for the last quarter
  • driving licence (photo card current and valid) - full or provisional
  • cheque card, credit card or debit card
  • certificate of employment in HM Forces or Merchant Navy
  • letter from solicitor, social worker or probation officer
  • Home Office standard acknowledgement letter (SAL1 or 2)
  • Residence Permit or Aliens Registration Certificate
  • Immigration and Nationality Directorate Travel Document.

National Insurance number

We need to see proof of your National Insurance number (and your partner if you have one). You will need to provide one per person from the following: 
  • P45 or P60
  • letter from the Inland Revenue about tax
  • pay slips or salary statement or works pension statement as long as they show your National Insurance number
  • letter that the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has sent to you (not hand-written)
  • National Insurance number card (not hand-written)

Documents you can provide copies of

You can send copies of the documents to us in the post, or scan and email them to us. We  may ask to see originals at a later date if there is a discrepancy.
Send us your form even if you don't have the documents. If you delay sending us your form you could lose money. If we need more information from you we will write you to tell you what we need.


To prove your income and the income of anyone who lives with you, you must provide one per person of any of the following that are relevant to your circumstances:
  • payslips (if you get paid weekly we require the last five weeks; if you get paid monthly we require the last two months payslips - no gaps)
  • trading accounts for the last financial year if you are self-employed
  • Income Support (IS), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) decision letter, Pension Credit, Working Tax Credits, Child Tax Credits, other Tax Credits or pension notification letters
  • evidence of any other income you or any member of your household receives must be declared and supporting evidence provided; if this information is not provided the highest deduction will be taken from your benefit.


If you pay rent to a private landlord or a housing association, we need to see a tenancy agreement or letter from a landlord or agent giving the following information:
  • full name and business or residential (home) address of the owner of the property
  • full name and business address of any agent
  • date the agreement started
  • amount of current rent payable
  • what is included in the rent - for example heating, lighting, cleaning, water rates, meals, personal care, general counselling and support
  • payment period or frequency - for example weekly, monthly, four-weekly.

Savings, investments, stocks, shares, property or any other capital

If you, your partner or your children have any savings, investments, stocks, shares, property or other capital, we will need need to see evidence. This can include one per person of any of the following:
  • bank, building society or Post Office account pass books or statements (the last two statements for each account – no gaps)
  • share certificates or dividend statements for stocks or shares or bonds
  • property
  • evidence of any other savings and capital must be declared and supporting evidence provided

Payments for child care and/or into a personal pension

If you pay for child care and or into a personal pension, these payments are taken into account when calculating the amount of Housing Benefit you may be entitled to. We need to see:
  • proof of payments made to childminder, nursery or after-school club and their registration number
  • bank statements for proof of any personal pension contributions paid out or letter or statement from pension company.

How much Council Tax Reduction (CTR) will I get?

Working-age adults

You can get CTR on up to 80 per cent of you Council Tax bill.
Every working-age resident in Newham must pay at least 20 per cent of their Council Tax bill.


If you are a pensioner, your Council Tax Reduction will apply to the whole of your bill.
A pensioner is someone who has reached the qualifying age for state pension credit. You can use the State Pension calculator to find out if you have reached the qualifying age.

Estimate your CTR

As a guide to how much Council Tax Reduction you may get, try our benefits calculator.

The calculator can only estimate what you could get. The best way to find out how much CTR you may get is to make a claim.

Receiving your Council Tax Reduction (CTR)

Once we have all the information and evidence we need, we will make our decision within 14 days and tell you in writing.
We will use your CTR award to reduce the amount of Council Tax you have to pay. We will send you a new Council Tax bill.
If your CTR doesn't cover the whole of your Council Tax bill you will have to make arrangements with us to pay the rest of your Council Tax.
Find out more about other benefits you could claim

Other help with paying Council Tax

If you are not entitled to Council Tax Reduction (CTR), you may be able to receive a discount on your Council Tax. Depending on your circumstances, your property may also be exempt from Council Tax.
Back to top

Related documents

Contact us

  • Newham Benefits Service
    PO Box 23504
    E15 4UU

    020 8430 2000

    Email us