warning icon
For the most up to date service disruptions and information on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) please follow these links

Council Tax Reduction

If you are on a low income, you may be entitled to some help towards paying your Council Tax. This is called Council Tax Reduction (CTR). ​​​​​​​​​

​Who can get Council Tax Reduction (CTR)?

You can claim CTR whether or not you are:
  • receiving other benefits, tax credits, or pensions
  • working
  • unemployed
  • unable to work due to illness or disability
  • caring for a child or adult
  • students who are liable for council tax
  • retired
But not everyone who makes a claim is entitled to receive it. 
You cannot get CTR if you have more than £16,000 in savings, stocks and shares or other capital unless you also receive Guaranteed Pension Credit.
The best way to find out if you can get CTR is to make a claim.

Second adult rebate

Second Adult Rebate is only available if you are a pensioner.

If you are a pensioner and you are not entitled to Council Tax Reduction, you may be able to get a second adult rebate.

You will not be able to get a second adult rebate as well as Council Tax Reduction. If you are entitled to both, you will receive whichever is the higher.

You should apply for Council Tax Reduction and you will receive second adult rebate if you are entitled to it.


Make a claim for Council Tax Reduction (CTR)

To claim Council Tax Reduction you must fill in our Council Tax Reduction application form:
Read the Direction of the Chief Excutive for further information about making a claim electronically.
If you can't complete the online claim form we will send you a paper claim form. Call us on 020 8430 2000 to ask for a paper claim form to be sent to you.

Filling in the paper application form

You must follow the instructions on the form, tick the relevant boxes, and make sure you fully fill it in. 
The form looks long, but we need to ask a lot of questions to make sure everyone gets the right amount of benefit.
If someone else fills in the form for you, they must sign it in the space provided.
If you need help filling in the form, we can arrange for someone to visit you.To make an appointment call us on 020 8430 2000.

Send your completed form to:

Newham Benefits Service
PO Box 23504
E15 4UU


Claiming Housing Benefit

If you pay rent you can also claim Housing Benefit using the same form, unless you are of working age and claim Universal Credit. This is because your Universal Credit will include an allowance towards your rent.
If you have made your application for Housing Benefit through the Department for Work and Pensions, such as with your Job Seeker’s Allowance application, you will need to make a separate claim to us for Council Tax Reduction.

Proof of identity and evidence

You can provide evidence to supp​ort your claim online or by post.

When you complete the online evidence form you can upload scanned documents or digital photos to support your claim for housing benefit and/or council tax reduction. Digital photos can be taken on a smart phone or tablet.

Your uploaded files need to be clearly readable. If we cannot read your documents it will take longer to process your claim.

You may upload files in any of the following formats: JPEG, JPG, JPE, GIF, PDF, PNG.​


How much Council Tax Reduction (CTR) will I get?

Working-age adults

You can get CTR on up to 90 per cent of your Council Tax bill.
Every working-age resident in Newham must pay at least 10 per cent of their Council Tax bill.


If you are a pensioner, your Council Tax Reduction will apply to the whole of your bill.
A pensioner is someone who has reached the qualifying age for state pension credit. You can use the State Pension calculator to find out if you have reached the qualifying age.

Receiving your Council Tax Reduction (CTR)

Once we have all the information and evidence we need, we will make our decision within 14 days and tell you in writing.
We will use your CTR award to reduce the amount of Council Tax you have to pay. We will send you a new Council Tax bill.
If your CTR doesn't cover the whole of your Council Tax bill you will have to make arrangements with us to pay the rest of your Council Tax.
Find out more about other benefits you could claim

Other help with paying Council Tax

If you are not entitled to Council Tax Reduction (CTR), you may be able to receive a discount on your Council Tax. Depending on your circumstances, your property may also be exempt from Council Tax.
Back to top

Related documents

Related pages

Contact us

  • Newham Benefits Service
    PO Box 23504
    E15 4UU

    020 8430 2000