warning icon
Planned upgrade to our parking fines payments system Due to a planned upgrade of our payments system, it will not be possible to make payments for parking fines (PCNs) between 6.30-10pm this Wednesday 21 March 2018. We apologise for the inconvenience.​

Homelessness prevention and advice

There are options available to you to help you to stay in your current home or find a new home if you cannot stay where you are.

If you are threatened with homelessness, homeless or rough sleeping, the tool below will give you tailored advice based on your circumstances:
Be aware that rents in Newham are very high.
  • Using the 'better off calculator' can help you understand the financial benefits of changing your working hours and any impact it may have on benefits you may receive.
  • The council can support you into work or help finding you a new job - register with WorkPlace for more information.
  • You may be eligible for Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent.
  • If you rent privately, Local Housing Allowance (LHA) sets out the maximum amount of Housing Benefit you may be able to receive. To find out how much you may be able to receive use the 'entitled to' calculator which will give you an approximate guide.
  • Council and other social housing can only be accessed via the housing register.
  • The useful websites on the right hand side of this page are popular home search engines you can use if you are looking for a new home. 

If you still need help

If you need more advice and help, we may be able to:
  • advise you on how to find somewhere else to live
  • help you to solve any problems with your landlord or the person you live with by mediating between you so that you can stay in your home
  • advise you on your rights of occupation
  • refer you to someone who can give you work, debt and benefits advice
If you need to visit you must bring the following: 
  • proof of your identity and the identities of everyone to be included as part of your household, such as birth certificates, passports, immigration documents
  • proof of your income and any savings or investments you have, such as wage slips, bank statements, benefit books, savings books, share certificates
  • your current tenancy agreement and any previous tenancy agreements you have for other homes you have previously lived in
  • evidence that you are threatened with homelessness, such as a notice of seeking possession, possession order or bailiffs' warrant
  • confirmation in writing that you are being made homeless if friends or family are asking you to leave
  • proof of your previous addresses for the last five years and your partner’s addresses if relevant, such as: medical cards, bank statements, utility bills etc
  • evidence of any serious illness or disability that you or any member of your household have, such as letters from your GP, hospital consultant, details of any prescribed medication.


East Ham Town Hall Annexe
330-354 Barking Road
E6 2RT

Opening  Hours:

9am - 4pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
1pm – 4pm Wednesday

If you become homeless when the office is closed in an emergency call 020 8430 2000.
Back to top