warning icon
activeNewham network systems are not working ​Le​isure centres and call centre online systems currently not working. Problems with calls to and from call centre.​ Leisure centres are open. Apologies for any inconvenience.​

Licences: dangerous wild animals

If you wish to keep wild or dangerous animals that are listed by the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976, you must have a licence. The council is the licensing authority.

Venomous snake

Types of dangerous wild animals which need a licence

 These animals include:
  • wild cats
  • monkeys and apes
  • wolves
  • crocodiles
  • certain poisonous snakes
  • certain spiders.
For a full list of animals for which you need a licence, go to the Government's legislation website
If your animal is of mixed type or is cross-bred, you may still need a licence. If you’re not sure whether you need one or not, fill in our online enquiry form
You must have a licence before you keep a dangerous wild animal.

Apply for a licence to keep a dangerous wild animal

You can apply for a licence online:

Fees for a licence to keep a wild animal

The cost of a licence is £350, but there might be an additional charge for the cost of an examination by a vet.

After you submit the form, make a note of the reference number and write it on the back of a cheque payable to the London Borough of Newham.

Send your cheque to:
Animal Welfare
Central Depot
Folkestone Road
E6 4BX


Each licence will have conditions, which will vary depending on the type of animal. These conditions could include:
  • where you keep the animal
  • where you can move the animal to
  • public liability insurance.

Dangerous wild animals: our inspections

We will inspect your premises, with a vet if needed, before we agree to give you a licence. We may also inspect your premises at any time after we give you a licence.
All licences last for two years, and they run from January until December the following year.

Renew a licence to keep a dangerous wild animal

If you already have a licence, we will write to you to tell you when you need to renew it.

To renew your licence, fill in our online application form. After you submit the form send your payment.
It is your responsibility to make sure that you have a current licence.

Contact us

For information or advice fill in our online enquiry form. You can also report a licensing problem online.

Alternatively, call 020 8586 9739.
Back to top

Contact us