warning icon
My Newham will be unavailable from 22 until 24 February
​Council Tax Account Balances and Housing Benefit information via MyNewham will not be available from Saturday 22 to Monday 24 February 2020, this is due to an upgrade being carried out.
Customers can still make payments, but online account balances will not be updated until Tuesday 25 February 2020.​

Abandoned vehicles

Report an abandoned vehicle or a vehicle that is illegally for sale on the street.

If a vehicle is parked on a public road or land and shows signs of being abandoned, we can deal with it, even if it is taxed.

However if the vehicle is in good condition, we cannot remove it unless it has been untaxed for 61 days.

We report untaxed vehicles to the DVLA.
Report an abandoned or untaxed vehicle

You can also phone the Enforcement and Safety Division at any time on 020 8430 2000. You don't have to give us your name, and everything you say will be confidential.

The abandoned vehicle may be crushed and the owner could get a fine.

Vehicles on private land

If the abandoned vehicle is on private land, the landowner is responsible for removing it. However in some cases we may be able to help.


How do I know if a vehicle has been abandoned?

A vehicle may be abandoned if it:
  • has not been moved for a while
  • is not taxed*
  • has flat tyres
  • is leaking oil or fuel
  • has broken windows.
*The DVLA no longer issues paper tax discs. However you can check if a vehicle is taxed on the Government's website.

Street car sales

You are allowed to sell your vehicle with an advert inside if it is parked on your driveway, or in the road outside your home.
However if we believe that you are selling vehicles in the street as a business, we will take action. It is illegal and you could face a fine of up to £2,500.

Report a vehicle that is illegally for sale on the street​​​​​

Back to top

Contact us

  • Enforcement and Safety Team

    020 8430 2000