Newham roads and footways

Pavement Licence (Tables and Chairs)

Pavement Licence Applications being considered

The below applications have been submitted to the council for consideration. Should you have any objections please contact [email protected]  

Pavement Licence Application form - King Edward VII 47 Broadway E15 - 27th July 2021 (PDF)

Pavement Licence Application Form - heatre Royal Stratford East  Gerry Raffles Square, E15 - 15 July 2021 (PDF)

Pavement Licence Application Form - Fox and Hounds 178 Forest Lane, Forest Gate E7 - 7 July 2021 (PDF)

Pavement Licence Application Form - Giovannas Deli & Wine 58 Woodgrange Road E7 - 5 July 2021 (PDF)

Pavement Licence Application Form - Plaistow Food Stop Ltd, t/a Nota Bene Coffee Shop - 247 Plaistow Road E15, 28 June 2021 (PDF)

Pavement Licence Applicaion form - Tonys food store, 265 High Street E15 - 21 June 2021 (PDF)

Pavement Licence Application form - Streeties, 15 Shirley Street E16 - 21 June 2021 (PDF)

Pavement Licence Application form - JB Coffee ltd, 378 High Street North E12 - 11 May 2021 (PDF)

Pavement Licence Application form - Love Choco 112 Barking Road E16 - 6 May 2021 (PDF)

Pavement Licence Application form - The Refreshment Room 27 Broadway E15 - 21 April 2021 (PDF)

Pavement Licence Application form - Zeera Kebabish 298 Barking Road E6 - 19 April 2021 (PDF)

Pavement Licence Application form - Pepenero Restaurant and Pizzeria 114 Silvertown Way E16 -12 April 2021 (PDF)

Pavement licence application form - ZZETTA Soul Fired Pizza 110 Barking Road E16 - 9 April 2021 (PDF)

Pavement licence application form - O21 Bar & Grill - The Grove, E15 - 24 March 2021 (PDF)

Pavement licence application form - Kotch Pizza Leytonstone Road - 4 March 2021 (PDF)

Pavement licence application form - Golden Grove -13 May 2021 (PDF)

Pavement licence application form - Millers Well, 419 Barking Road E6 - 13 May 2021 (PDF)

Pavement licence application form - 115 Romford Road E15 - 13 May 2021 (PDF)

Pavement licence application form -  30 Broadway E15 - 7 May 2021 (PDF)

Please note you have seven days to write in from the date of the application.

Pavement Licences

The COVID-19 pandemic has affected businesses across the economy causing many to cease trading for several months while others have had to significantly modify their operations. As a result the Government has announced further and urgent relaxations to planning and licensing laws to help the hospitality industry recover from the coronavirus lockdown by removing short term obstacles that could get in their way.

A new temporary fast-track process for businesses to obtain permission, in the form of a “pavement licence”, has been introduced. These are available from Newham Council for the placement of furniture such as tables and chairs on the pavement outside their premises that will enable applicants to maximise their capacity whilst adhering to social distancing guidelines.

Application for pavement licence (PDF)

Currently, tables and chairs permissions are granted as Pavement (Amenity) licences by Newham Council’s Network Management Team, who act on behalf of the Highway Authority, under Part 7A of the Highways Act 1980.

The new temporary measure places a cap on the application fee of £100 for businesses, and introduces a new 14-day determination period, ensuring that businesses can obtain licences in a timely and cost effective manner aiding to their financial recovery. This fee is not refundable, should the licence be issued or not.

A pavement licence may be granted by Newham Council, or deemed to have been granted,  allowing the licence-holder to place removable furniture over certain highways adjacent to the premises in relation to which the application was made, for certain purposes.

Business which are eligible are premises for the sale of food or drink for consumption (on or off the premises), and includes: public houses, cafes, bars, restaurants, snack bars, coffee shops, and ice cream parlours. The licence permits the business to use furniture placed on the highway to sell or serve food or drink and/or allow it to be used by people for consumption of food or drink supplied from, or in connection with the use of the premises.

Licences can only be granted in respect of highways listed in section 115A(1) Highways Act 1980.  Generally, these are footpaths restricted to pedestrians, or are roads and places to which vehicle access is restricted or prohibited. Other sensitive areas or areas containing utility apparatus may result in

The furniture which may be used is:

  • Counters or stalls for selling or serving food or drink;
  • Tables, counters or shelves on which food or drink can be placed;
  • Chairs, benches or other forms of seating; and
  • Umbrellas, barriers, heaters and other articles used in connection with the outdoor consumption of food or drink.
  • This furniture is required to be removable, which means it is not a permanent fixed structure, and is able to be moved easily, and stored away of an evening.

Applicants will be advised of full terms and conditions of the Pavement Licence prior to the determination and issue.

Application for pavement licence (PDF)

To apply for a licence, and determination please email [email protected]