Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction

Making a claim for housing benefit or council tax reduction

Benefits and tax credits may give you support in certain situations where you need it, whether you are working or not. It is likely that you would be better off working if this is possible.

Find out what support you may be able to get by working through the different life situations. Be sure to look at every situation relevant to you otherwise you could miss some useful information.

On this page you can find out about making a claim for Council Tax Reduction (CTR), Universal Credit, Housing Benefit, Discretionary Housing Payment and Local Housing Allowance (LHA).​​​​

Council Tax Reduction (CTR) 

If you live in Newham you can make a claim for Council Tax Reduction if you:

  • Have a liability to pay Council Tax
  • Are aged 18 or over
  • Are working or unemployed
  • Are receiving universal credit

Not everyone who makes a claim is entitled to receive it.

You cannot get CTR if you have more than £16,000 in savings, stocks and shares or other capital unless you also receive Guaranteed Pension Credit. 

Make a claim for Council Tax Reduction

Read the Direction of the Chief Executive (PDF)​ for further information about making a claim electronically.

Housing Benefit

Most people now have to claim Universal Credit for help with their rent. 

You can only claim Housing Benefit if: 

  • ​You and your partner, if you have one, have reached State Pension age 
  • You receive Pension Credit
  • You are living in what is referred to an 'temporary accommodation or 'specified accommodation'

There are a few other situations in which you can claim Housing Benefit but the rules are complicated.

Use this online questionnaire​​​ before deciding whether to apply

The same online form covers Housing Benefit as well as Council Tax Reduction. If you have to claim Council Tax Reduction, you might want to claim Housing Benefit at the same time. But remember that you may lose money if you delay claiming Universal Credit​. ​

Read the Direction of the Chief Executive (PDF)​ for further information about making a claim electronically.​

Check whether you can claim Housing Benefit

Make a claim for Housing Benefit

Local Housing Allowance (LHA)

We use LHA to calculate how much Housing Benefit you can receive if you rent privately.

For further information and LHA rates please visit DirectGov