Social care fraud
Misuse of personal budgets that are paid to a person receiving care or their carer(s) to manage their care can be considered as fraud.
Fraud can be carried out by:
- The user of the care services or
- Someone who is managing the budget on their behalf or
- The organisation or individual who is providing the care.
Social care fraud includes:
- Not telling us when the service user has died and continuing to receive payments from their personal budget
- Claiming money from your personal budget is going to a carer when you are keeping it yourself
- Taking the money from a dependent’s personal budget and using it to pay for things other than their care.