What is a Blue Badge?
The Blue Badge scheme is for people with severe mobility problems who find it difficult to use public transport. It allows Blue Badge holders to park close to where they need to go.
You can use the badge when you are driving or are a passenger in a car. Other people such as your friends or relatives can't use the badge unless you are travelling with them.
Do I qualify for a Blue Badge?
You will qualify for a Blue Badge if you:
- Receive Disability Living Allowance (Higher Rate Mobility)
- Receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP), with 8+ for Moving Around
- Receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP), with 10 for Planning and Following a Journey stating you cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress
- Receive a War Pension Mobility Supplement
- Are a registered blind person
- Use a motor vehicle that is supplied by a government health department.
You may also qualify if you:
- Have severe disability in both upper limbs
- Drive a motor vehicle regularly but cannot turn the steering wheel even if that wheel is fitted with a turning knob
- Have a permanent and substantial disability which leaves you unable to walk or you have considerable difficulty in walking
- Have a non-visible (hidden) condition, causing you to severely struggle with journeys between a vehicle and your destination.
Children under the age of three may be eligible for a badge if, because of their condition, they must always be:
- Accompanied by bulky medical equipment
- Near a motor vehicle so they can be treated in the vehicle or taken to a place where they can be treated.
If the Blue Badge is not right for you
The Blue Badge may not be the right answer to your mobility issue. If so, you may wish to look into the following options:
- London Taxicard Scheme - subsidised door-to-door transport for people who have serious mobility impairment and difficulty in using public transport
- Dial-a-ride- free door to door minibus scheme run by TfL for people with mobility problems
- Freedom Pass - Free use of public transport for people with mobility problems.