Public health in Newham
We are responsible for promoting and protecting the health and wellbeing of people who live in Newham. We took over this duty from the NHS in 2013.
Now that public health is part of the council, we are able to offer a range of job opportunities for those who want to work in roles that impact health, such as housing, transport and the environment.
We have a range of public health functions, but by law we are responsible for:
- Helping to protect people from the dangers of infectious diseases and environmental threats
- Organising and paying for sexual health services
- Providing specialist public health advice to primary care services such as Clinical commissioning groups (CCG) and community health professionals
- Organising and paying for height and weight checks for primary school children
- Providing a wide range of health promotion services.