What to expect from Adult Social Care

When you contact us

BSL Support

This page contains information about what to expect when you contact Adult Social Care services.

Staff within Adult Social Care will:

  • Ask you for your name, date of birth, address and telephone number
  • Ask you if you are already known to Adult Social Care and/or local health services. This​ helps to avoid you having to repeat information that we already have
  • Discuss your situation
  • Talk about your needs
  • Be respectful and caring
  • Encourage you to set out your concerns and not feel hurried
  • Listen to what you are saying and be knowledgeable and professional in their response
  • Check to see if you require an independent advocate​​ to support you through the assessment process
  • Confirm what will happen next and where appropriate confirm this in writing
  • Discuss what is available to assist you.

Please set aside enough time for this conversation so we can gather all the information needed to support you.

Depending on your needs we will:

  • Identify if an assessment is required - if yes, a practitioner will visit you to undertake an assessment of your needs
  • Signpost you to local services and activities (including services that can be purchased) to support you with your query
  • Give advice on equipment that can be purchased or provided following an assessment
  • If needed, an appointment at Enabled Living will be arranged so you can try a range of simple equipment solutions.
  • Depending on need, refer you to our free Reablement Service for up to 6 weeks of support with regaining daily living skills.

If an assessment is required

Before your assessment you will be provided with information about the process including:

  • What questions to expect
  • The eligibility criteria
  • Assessment timescales
  • Details about any financial contribution you may need to make towards meeting the cost of your care.

If there are complex needs or concerns about safety

A referral will be made to enable a more detailed assessment or investigation to take place, if:

  • Needs presented are more complex
  • Or where there are concerns about the safety of an adult.

If you are moving into Newham

If you are currently living in another borough and receive care and support services from that local authority, please contact us before moving to Newham.

This will allow us to transfer your care and support needs smoothly.