Your council tenancy

Types of tenancy

If you are a council tenant you will usually have one of two types of tenancy: 

  • A secure tenancy 
  • An introductory tenancy. 

The type of tenancy you have depends on your circumstances and on legal rules. It will also affect your rights as a tenant. 

If you don’t know what type of tenancy you have, look at the agreement you signed at the start of your tenancy. All tenancy agreements insist that the tenancy property is your main home. 

If this is not the case, or if you sublet the tenancy property to someone else, you may stop being a secure or introductory tenant and we can then bring your tenancy agreement to an end by serving a notice.