Moving out of your council home
When you move out of your council home you must leave it clean and clear. You must remove all your personal belongings and rubbish before you return the keys.
If you do not clear the property, we will charge you as we will incur costs to clear it ready for the next tenant.
What you must take with you
Items you must clear, regardless of what condition they are in:
- White goods such as fridges, freezers and dishwashers
- Cookers; always use a registered trader to disconnect gas appliances - to find a registered Gas Safe engineer visit www.gassaferegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500
- Flooring (carpets, floor tiles, lino, laminated flooring), ensuring you clean any adhesive or foam backing and get rid of debris that may be left behind
- Garden ornaments and toys
- Home additions such as fitted wardrobes, mirrors, pictures, bathroom cabinets, over-bath showers
- Unauthorised improvements such as security gates and grilles.
Our bulky waste collection service can collect up to six items for £20.
Or you can take items to be re-used, recycled or disposed of to the Jenkins Lane Re-Use and Recycling Cenre. Newham residents can use the centre free of charge.
Areas you must clear
You must clear the whole property including:
- All rooms
- All gardens
- Pram sheds
- Loft space
- Outbuildings including sheds, out houses, conservatories.
When you leave, you must make sure you:
- Leave all curtains and net curtains
- Sweep, mop and clean all rooms
- Clean all cupboards, surfaces, bathroom suite and kitchen sink
- Leave the garden in good order, with trimmed plants and mown lawns
- Close and lock all windows, the mortis lock, back door and back garden gate
- Have not left any sets of spare keys with neighbours, carers, friends or relatives
- Give all sets of keys back to us on the same day.