Carer and care home parking permits

Residential carer parking permit

If you live in a residential parking zone and need home visits from a carer or a number of carers, you can apply for a carer parking permit. There is a limit of one carer parking permit, per qualifying person, per address. 

Carer permits can be used on different vehicles, however the vehicle can only be parked in the zone shown on your permit.

As the permit can be switched between vehicles these permits will remain paper based. Once the permit application has been approved the permit will be posted by recorded delivery within 2 working days from the application approval date. 

Please contact the Council if you have not received your carers permit within 5 working days of being notified that your application has been approved. Notifying the Council of a non-received permit after the 5 working day deadline may result in a new application having to be made and another payment may also be required. 

The cost of a carer permit will remain at £10 for a 12 month permit and there will be no emissions based charge applied to these permits.

When renewing your permit you must select a start date for your new permit to begin. The MiPermit Newham system will default to today’s date on the application page. Please ensure this is updated if you require your permit to start from a later date. You will only be able to renew your permit up to four weeks in advance.

If you are in receipt of care through Newham Council’s Social Care Teams please confirm this on the appropriate section of the application form. This will be checked with our Social Care Team and if correct we will approve your application and send your carers permit out to your address by post.

If you do not receive care through Newham Council you will be required to provide the following documents:

  • A letter confirming that the person for whom the carer permit is being applied for requires home visits from their care provider. This letter needs to be on headed stationery and dated within 3mths of the application and can be from the qualifying persons doctor (GP) or from a healthcare specialist who is providing the home support visits.
  • Welfare benefit entitlement letter confirming that the person for whom the carer permit is being applied for is in receipt of the Care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • A proof of address
Apply for a carer permit