Carer and care home parking permits

Residential carer parking permit

If you live in a residential parking zone and need home visits from a carer or a number of carers, you can apply for a carer parking permit. There is a limit of one carer parking permit, per qualifying person, per address. 

Carer permits can be used on different vehicles, however the vehicle can only be parked in the zone shown on your permit.

As the permit can be switched between vehicles these permits will remain paper based. It can take up to 10 working days to process your permit and post it out to you.

You MUST inform the Council if you have not received your carers permit within 15 days of making payment for the permit.  Notifying the Council of a missing permit after the 15 day deadline will result in a new application having to be made and another payment will also be applicable.

The cost of a carer permit will remain at £10 for a 12 month permit and there will be no emissions based charge applied to these permits.

When renewing your permit you must select a start date for your new permit to begin. The MiPermit Newham system will default to today’s date on the application page. Please ensure this is updated if you require your permit to start from a later date. You will only be able to renew your permit up to four weeks in advance.

If you are in receipt of care through Newham Council’s Social Care Teams please confirm this on the appropriate section of the application form. This will be checked with our Social Care Team and if correct we will approve your application and send your carers permit out to your address by post.

If you do not receive care through Newham Council you will be required to provide the following documents:

  • A letter confirming you need home visits from your care provider - this will need to be from your doctor (GP) or from a healthcare specialist dated within 3 months
  • Welfare benefit entitlement letter confirming you are in receipt of the Care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • A proof of address
Apply for a carer permit