Clamping and removals
We don’t clamp vehicles in Newham. If your vehicle has been clamped, it will be by a private company or possibly a bailiff. There should be contact details in the notice on your car.
Due to an emergency, the car pound closing times will now be 16:00 until Friday 18 June.
In some circumstances we have to remove vehicles, these include:
- Vehicles which are parked dangerously
- If we are asked by the police
- If a vehicle is in contravention of the parking controls
- Vehicles which are causing a serious obstruction.
If you think we have removed your vehicle, you can check on the TRACE website or call TRACE on 0300 077 0100* (24hrs). You will be asked for your vehicle registration. Or you can text “TRACE” followed by your vehicle registration to 66663*.
How to release your vehicle from the Newham vehicle pound
If your vehicle has been removed to our pound, you will need to bring documents to prove your ownership and payment to secure its release.
You must bring four documents with you:
- Photo ID - this can be a driving licence, passport or European ID card with photograph.
- Proof of address (dated within the last three months) - this can be a utility bill, bank or building society statement or credit card statement.
- Proof you own or have permission to use the vehicle - this can be a V5C (log book), car rental agreement or a letter from your employer on headed paper if it is a company car not registered in your name.
- Insurance - A valid insurance certificate (not an insurance schedule or policy number) to show that you are insured to drive the vehicle - even if the vehicle is a company car. If you have hired a vehicle, you must bring the lease agreement to confirm you are insured to drive it.
Cost to release your vehicle
To release your car you must pay:
- A £200 removal fee and;
- The amount shown on your PCN (parking ticket).
If you do not collect your vehicle within 24 hours of it being removed, you will have to pay a storage charge of £40 per day. Our storage charge applies 365 days a year, when the car pound is open to the public.
If the pound is closed to the public for a bank holiday, you will not have to pay a storage charge for that day.
How to pay
You can pay by:
- Card (credit/debit)
- Bankers draft payable to ‘London Borough of Newham’
Our policy on coin payments is in line with the guidance given by the Bank of England. We do not accept payments by coins if they are more than the following limits:
- 50ps - maximum of £10
- 20ps - maximum of £10
- 10ps - maximum of £5
- 5ps - maximum of £5
- 2ps - maximum of 20p
- 1p - maximum of 20p.
If your vehicle is not road worthy
If you are unable to drive your vehicle out of the car pound, you will need to make arrangements for it to be towed. For health and safety reasons you will not be able to carry out repairs or boost the vehicle's battery while it is on Newham Council land.
How to release someone else's vehicle
You can release someone else's vehicle on their behalf in the same way you would release your own vehicle. The only difference is the documents you must bring with you.
Make sure you have:
- Photo ID for you and the vehicle owner or registered keeper
- Personal ID for you and the vehicle owner or registered keeper
- A signed letter giving you the authority to collect the vehicle
- A valid insurance certificate to show you are insured to drive the vehicle.
Appeal against a vehicle removal
If your vehicle is removed and you feel as though it should not have been removed, you can make an appeal against the penalty charge notice and removal. However, you can only do this after you have paid to release your vehicle.
Details on how to do this will be given to you at the vehicle pound. You must make your appeal within 28 days of collecting your vehicle.
How to get to the vehicle pound
If you are driving or coming by taxi or mini cab, please use the Jenkins Lane entrance:
Newham Vehicle Pound
Newham Central Depot
If you are walking or coming by bus please use the Folkestone Road entrance:
Newham Vehicle Pound
Newham Central Depot
The number 300 bus, which goes to East Ham Station stops outside the London Borough of Newham Central depot at the Folkestone Road entrance.
Telephone: 020 3373 3883
|Monday||8am - 8.30pm|
|Tuesday||8am - 7:00pm|
|Wednesday||8am - 7:00pm|
|Thursday||8am - 7:00pm|
|Friday||8am - 7:00pm|
|Saturday||8am - 7:00pm|
|Sunday||10am - 6pm - unless there is a West Ham United home football match or council event|
Bank holidays 10am - 6pm - unless there is a West Ham United home football match or council event. The car pound will be closed on Christmas Day.
Football matches and borough-wide events
If there is a West Ham United home football match or a large scale event taking place on a Sunday or bank holiday, the car pound may close later than usual.
You can check the car pound opening times by calling 020 3373 3883.
Request a vehicle removal
You can call 020 3373 0660 to ask us to remove a vehicle.
|Monday||7am - 5pm|
|Tuesday||7am - 5pm|
|Wednesday||7am - 5pm|
|Thursday||7am - 5pm|
|Friday||7am - 5pm|
|Saturday||7am - 4pm|
|Sunday||8am - 3:30pm|
|Bank holidays||8am - 3:30pm|