Conservation areas and listed buildings in Newham

Tree preservation

Trees improve the appearance of towns and cities. Some trees are so important that we protect them.

Tree preservation orders

Tree preservation orders

Tree preservation orders (TPOs) protect single trees, groups of trees or areas of woodland. If a tree has a TPO, it is an offence to cut it down, top it, lop it, uproot, or deliberately damage or destroy it without our permission.

Newham has over 400 trees with TPOs.

Find out which trees in Newham have TPOs (Excel).

If you destroy a tree that has a TPO, you can be fined £20,000. If you work on a tree without permission, and you damage it (but don’t destroy it), you can still be fined up to £2,500.

Trees on council land

Trees owned by us or growing on our land are protected. If you want to work on these trees, we must agree to the work first. If we agree it, one of our tree-maintenance c​​ontractors must do the work.

Trees in conservation areas

If you want to cut down or work on a tree in a conservation area, you will need to send us an application at least six weeks before you start the work. This is so that we have the chance to make a TPO if necessary.

All trees in conservation areas are protected if they have a stem of more than 7.5cm wide and stand more than 1.5 metres high.

How we make tree preservation orders

For information about how councils make TPOs, go to the Government's website.

Applying to work on a tree

If you want to work on a tree and it has a TPO, or if you want to work on a tree in a conservation area, you must ask us for permission.

Apply for permission online using the Planning Portal. You will need to log on or register to set up the application. Or you can download the application form (PDF) and send it to us with your submission (all plans and documents) at: 

Planning Submissions
Development Control
First Floor West Wing
Newham Dockside
1000 Dockside Road
E16 2QU

You will also need to send us an electronic copy of your submission as well. You can send it to us on a CD or email it to us at Make sure the files are in PDF format (with the measuring tool switched on) and each file is no bigger than 10MB. Break up large documents into separate files.

If you want to work on a tree that is owned by us, or you want general advice about trees, contact the arbori-cultural inspector on 020 8430 2000.