Air Quality Action Plan, progress and delivery
Our road transport, planning and development strategies are now all focused on improving air quality for residents and visitors of Newham.
The Air Quality Management Area
Certain pollutants in Newham exceed the World Health Organisation (WHO) guidelines as well as the national air quality objectives for human exposure. In response, we issued a borough-wide Air Quality Management Area (AQMA) Order in December 2019 for particulate, and NO2 pollution and produced an action plan.
Air Quality Management Area Recourses
Map of Air Quality Management Area
Borough Wide Air Quality Management Area Order
The Air Quality Action Plan
The Mayor of Newham, Rokhsana Fiaz, has launched a comprehensive five-year plan to tackle poor air quality in the borough.
Read our Air Quality Action Plan 2019 to 2024 (PDF)
Air Quality Action Plan Consultation
A consultation process was undertaken in 2018 for six weeks on the councils Draft Air Quality Action Plan.
The following document summarises the consultation process, the responses received, and our response to suggestions and the issues raised, including the resulting changes to the plan.
Summary of Consultation Responses to the Draft Air Quality Action Plan 2019 to 2024 (PDF)
The five year Air Quality Action Plan will help us to organise and monitor our work, compare data and results from previous years.
The Mayor of Newham has established an Air Quality and Climate Change Task Force and a Commissioner has been appointed by the Mayor to support her in the delivery of the Air Quality Action Plan across all Council Services.
Annual Review and Assessment Report
Every year we review our progress in meeting the air quality actions in our plan and if air quality has improved. You can read about our progress in our Annual Review and assessment report.
Air Quality Annual Status Report 2021 (PDF)
This report has been approved by The Mayor of London (MoL) under its statutory duties.
Particularly notable measures and actions by Newham that were undertaken in 2021 include:
- 15 electric vehicle chargers were installed in Folkestone Road Depot and 9 fully electric vehicles added to the council fleet;
- 6 Low Traffic Neighbourhoods were implemented, of which 3 were made permanent;
- Emissions Based Parking charges were launched, with a tiered system of charges relating to CO2 emissions now in place;
- 3 'realtime' Breathe London air quality monitors were deployed, bringing the total number of air quality monitors in Newham to over 150;
- An anti-idling event was held as part of the London wide programme with 60 drivers spoken to as part of the general campaign;
- Brompton Bike hire was installed in Stratford, Maryland and the Royal Victoria Dock.
- Phase 2 of the ‘Healthy School Streets’ was made permanent at 8 schools with a significant reduction in air quality reported;
The MoL publishes an annual London wide Air Quality Compendium which summarises each boroughs report to facilitate sharing of air quality data and best practice air quality control, which has improved working across boroughs. The full report is available to download here.