Use the council’s bulky waste service
A bulky waste collection is for large unwanted items such as furniture, fridges, freezers or TVs.
This service is for household items only. We offer a commercial waste service for businesses in Newham.
How it works
- If you’re a Newham resident you can have your bulky waste collected two times a year for free - the year will run from April – March.
- We’ll take up to six items per collection. After the second free collection the charge will be £20 and will be for up to six items.
- We aim to collect your items in two working days.
- We may collect your items at different times using different vehicles, for example fridges are collected separately to enable us to recycle them.
If you have just moved into your property and have not used your two free bulky waste collections but you’re having problems, please call us on 020 8430 2000, press option 4 and ask for bulky waste. Our customer services team will be able to help you book a free bulky waste collection online.
When to put your items out for collection
- Put your bulky items in your front garden as soon as you’ve booked your collection with the reference number. We may collect them straight away.
- Please don’t put your items out before you have booked a collection.
You must have a valid reference number before you put rubbish anywhere in your front garden other than in the bin. If you don't, you could receive a £110 penalty fine. Find out more about how we enforce rubbish in front gardens.
If you don’t have a front garden, leave bulky items for a booked collection next to your rubbish bin, ensuring that you’re not blocking any paths or pavements.
If you live in a block of flats, ask your caretaker or housing manager about where to leave bulky items for a booked collection.
Make sure the items can be clearly seen and we can remove them safely.