warning icon
For the most up to date service disruptions and information on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) please follow these links

Clamping and removals

​What to do if your vehicle has been removed and how to ask us to remove a vehicle.​​​​​​​​​

The council car compound is going to operate shortened operating hours due to staff shortages related to Covid-19.​Monday to Saturday: 9am to 5pm, Sunday: 10am to 2 pm.

Truck removing a car

Easter weekend timings

​​Day Time​
Good Friday​ 10am - 2pm​
​Saturday 9am - 5pm​
​Easter Sunday ​10am - 2pm
​Easter Monday ​10am - 2pm​​

​If your vehicle has been removed

We may remove your vehicle if:
  • you park dangerously
  • we are told to remove it by the police
  • it is parked in contravention of the parking controls.
If you think we have removed your vehicle, you can check on the TRACE website or call TRACE on 0300 077 0100* (24hrs). You will be asked for your vehicle registration mark. Or you can text “TRACE” followed by your vehicle registration mark to 66663*. 

* Your landline telephone or mobile provider may charge for this service.​

If you think your vehicle has been removed, but there is no information on the TRACE website, contact the Newham Vehicle Pound in East Ham. This is where all removed vehicles are taken.

If we have your vehicle, we will tell you what time you can pick it up.

How to release your vehicle

To release your vehicle from the pound, you will need to bring documents and payment.

Documents you must bring

You must bring four documents with you:
  1. Photo ID
    This can be a driving licence, passport or European ID card with photograph.
  2. Personal ID (dated within the last three months)
    This can be a utility bill, bank or building society statement, credit card statement, telephone or mobile phone bill.
  3. Proof you own or have permission to use the vehicle
    This can be a V5C (log book), car rental agreement or a letter from your employer on headed paper if it is a company car not registered in your name.
  4. Insurance
    A valid insurance certificate (not an insurance schedule or policy number) to show that you are insured to drive the vehicle - even if the vehicle is a company car. If you have hired a vehicle, you must bring the lease agreement to confirm you are insured to drive it.

Cost to release your vehicle

To release your car you must pay:
  • a £200 removal fee
  • the amount shown on your PCN (parking ticket).
If you do not collect your vehicle within 24 hours of it being removed, you will have to pay a storage charge of £40 per day. Our storage charge applies all week (Monday to Sunday), when the car pound is open to the public. If the pound is closed to the public for a bank holiday, you will not have to pay a storage charge for that day.

How to pay

You can pay by:

  • card (credit/debit)
  • cash
  • bankers draft payable to ‘London Borough of Newham’
  • building society cheque payable to ‘London Borough of Newham’.
We do not accept personal or company cheques.

Coin payments

Our policy on coin payments is in line with the guidance given by the Bank of England. We do not accept payments by coins if they are more than the following limits:
  • 50ps - maximum of £10
  • 25ps (Crown) - maximum of £10
  • 20ps - maximum of £10
  • 10ps - maximum of £5
  • 5ps - maximum of £5
  • 2ps - maximum of 20p
  • 1p - maximum of 20p.

If your vehicle is not road worthy

If you are unable to drive your vehicle out of the car pound, you will need to make arrangements for it to be towed. For health and safety reasons you will not be able to carry out repairs or boost the vehicle's battery while it is on Newham Council land.


How to release someone else's vehicle

You can release someone else's vehicle on their behalf in the same way you would release your own vehicle. The only difference is the documents you must bring with you.

Make sure you have:
  • photo ID for you and the vehicle owner or registered keeper
  • personal ID for you and the vehicle owner or registered keeper
  • a signed letter giving you the authority to collect the vehicle
  • a valid insurance certificate to show you are insured to drive the vehicle.

Appeal against a vehicle removal

If your vehicle is removed and you feel it should not have been, you can make an appeal against the penalty charge notice and removal. However you can only do this after you have paid to release your vehicle.

Details on how to do this will be given to you at the vehicle pound. You must make your appeal within 28 days of collecting your vehicle.


How to get there

​If you are driving or coming by taxi or mini cab please use the Jenkins Lane entrance:  

Newham Vehicle Pound
Newham Central Depot
Jenkins Lane
IG11 0AD

If you are walking or coming by bus please use the Folkestone Road entrance:

Newham Vehicle Pound
Newham Central Depot
Folkestone Road
E6 6BX

The number 300 bus, which goes to East Ham Station stops outside the London Borough of Newham Central depot at the Folkestone Road entrance.​

Telephone: 020 3373 3883

Fax: 020 8430 6243

Opening hours

​Opening times
​Monday 8am - 9:30pm
​Tuesday 8am - 9:30pm 
​Wednesday 8am - 9:30pm 
​Thursday 8am - 9:30pm 
​Friday 8am - 9:30pm 
​Saturday 8am - 6:30pm
​Sunday ​10am - 6:30pm - unless there is a West Ham United home football match or council event
​Bank holidays 10am - 6:30pm - unless there is a West Ham United home football match or council event. The car pound will be closed on Christmas Day.

If there is a West Ham United home football match or a large scale event taking place on a Sunday or bank holiday, the car pound may close later than usual. 

You can check the car pound opening times by calling 020 3373 3883.

You can call 020 3373 0660 to ask us to remove a vehicle.
​Day ​Times you can call us
​Monday 7am – 5pm
​Tuesday 7am – 5pm
​Wednesday 7am – 5pm
​Thursday 7am – 5pm
​Friday 7am – 5pm
​Saturday 7am – 4pm
​Sunday 8am - 3.30pm
​Bank holidays 8am - 3.30pm

Clamped vehicles

We do not clamp vehicles.

If your vehicle has been clamped, it will be by a private company or possibly a bailiff.

There should be contact details in the notice on your car.

Back to top