warning icon
activeNewham network systems are not working ​Le​isure centres and call centre online systems currently not working. Problems with calls to and from call centre.​ Leisure centres are open. Apologies for any inconvenience.​

Licences: riding schools and stables

You need a licence to run a riding school or stables. It is against the law to run a riding school without a licence. We are the licensing authority.
Two horses at a riding stables

Apply for a licence to run a riding school or stables

You can apply for a licence online:

Application fee for a riding school licence

When you apply for the licence you will have to pay for the inspection cost of a veterinary surgeon appointed by the council plus an additional sum of £100. Please contact Animal Welfare who will advise you of the total cost.

After you submit form, make a note of the reference number and write it on the back of a cheque payable to the London Borough of Newham.

Send your cheque with the total costs specified to:
Animal Welfare
Central Depot
Folkestone Road
E6 4BX

Inspection of riding schools and stables

We will inspect your premises and horses, with a vet before we agree to give you a licence. We may also inspect at any time after we give you a licence. The licence is valid for one year and we may add conditions which relate to liability insurance or the horses’ health and welfare. 

Renewing a licence to run a riding school or stables

If you already have a licence, we will write to you to tell you when you need to renew it.

To renew your licence, fill in our online application form. After you submit the form send your payment.
It is your responsibility to make sure that you have a current licence. If you don't, you may receive a fine of up to £5,000 or up to three months in prison, or both.

Contact the Animal Welfare Team

For information or advice fill in our online enquiry form. You can also report a licensing problem online.

Alternatively, call 020 8586 9739.
Back to top