On this page you can find out what will happen to you when you come into care, what your rights are as a looked-after child or young person and what you can expect from us, your carers and your teachers.
Back to top
What being looked after means
- your rights as a looked-after child or young person
- why you have to go to meetings and what they are for
- how we look after your personal information
- what you can do if you are unhappy
- how you can improve the way we look after children and young people like you.
Where you will live
- how we decide where you will live
- what being looked after by a foster carer will be like
- what you can expect if you go to live in residential care (a children’s home)
- what will happen if you go back to live with your parents
- who will represent you and how you can get your views heard if a court has to decide where you will live
- what the court orders mean.
Your social worker
- what your social worker should do for you
- how to meet and phone your social worker.
- how we will support you at school and college and help you catch up
- how we will help you plan your education to help you reach your goals
- what support you will get with life at school such as homework, trips and parents evenings
- about moving on to sixth form or college.
- how we will look after your health and when you will get check ups
- about keeping yourself healthy with the right food, exercise and rest
- information about alcohol, drug and solvent abuse and how you could harm your health
- information about contraception and sexual health
- what you can do and where you can go if you need help with depression, grief, self-harm and any other worries and feelings.
Contact with family and friends
- how you can see your family and friends while you are in care and what to do if you don’t want to see someone
- how to trace your family if they live abroad
- what you have to do if you want to stay over with friends
- about having an independent visitor if you don’t see your parents.
Money while you are looked after
- about pocket money and school dinner
- about the money will save for you for when you leave care.