warning icon
activeNewham network systems are not working ​Le​isure centres and call centre online systems currently not working. Problems with calls to and from call centre.​ Leisure centres are open. Apologies for any inconvenience.​

Register performing animals

​If you want to keep or train animals for public performances you need to register them.

What kinds of animal need to be registered

If you want to keep or train animals for public performances, for example:
  • on the stage
  • on television
  • in the theatre
  • on film
  • in an exhibition
then you must register the animal with a council. It is against the law not to register a performing animal.
If you live or are based in Newham, you must register the animals with us. If you live or are based outside the borough, you must register them with the council in the area where you live.

When you register the animals, you will need to give details of the animals and the performances they will take part in. 
If we agree to register you, we will give you a certificate.
You do not need to register military or police animals, or animals trained for farming or sport.

Fee to register performing animals

The fee for registration, including the certificate, is £320.
After you submit the form, make a note of the reference number and write it on the back of a cheque payable to the London Borough of Newham.

Send your cheque to:
Animal Welfare
Central Depot
Folkestone Road
E6 4BX

It is your responsibility to make sure that you have a current licence.


We will check that you are keeping the animals in the conditions which meet health, welfare and safety standards, and we will ask you to show us your certificate of registration.
If you show or train any performing animal without registering it you may get a fine of up to £2,500. You may also be banned from showing or training performing animals in the future.


Contact the Animal Welfare Team

For information or advice fill in our online enquiry form. You can also report a licensing problem online.

Alternatively, call 020 8586 9739.
Back to top