warning icon
For the most up to date service disruptions and information on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) please follow these links

Repairs information for tenants

Due to Covid-19 we are dealing the Emergency repairs only​

Tenants, leaseholders and vulnerable residents can report emergency repairs via ordering centre 0800 9525555

On this page you can find out whether a repair is your responsibility or ours and how to report a repair to your home or a communal area.
We are committed to providing a first class, accessible and efficient repairs service. We also plan and do a range of general and specialist maintenance work.

The quickest way to report a repair for your council property is through our new simple online form where you can select the type of repair you require and book an appointment that is convenient for you.  ​​

Report a repair

Tenants, leaseholders and vulnerable residents can report emergency repairs via ordering centre 0800 9525555

Before you begin

Check who is responsible for the repair. As a tenant you are responsible for some repairs to your home.

Report a repair

​Report a ​repair (No reports being taken for the time being)
If you need an emergency repair, call us on freephone 0800 952 5555.

For gas leaks/fumes freephone Transco on 0800 111 999.

We classify repairs as either emergency, urgent or routine.

What happens next

Once we have received your report we will contact you to agree a suitable appointment time.

We aim to get to all repairs in at least 20 days.


Whose responsibility is it?

Most repairs to the outside of your building and the communal areas such as lobbies and lifts are our responsibility.
We will also do some extra work for tenants aged 60 or over and tenants with certain disabilities.
You are responsible for repairing broken glazing in your windows, replacing broken gully grids on the drains outside your home and repairs to your garden.

If you think you are responsible for a repair to your home, fill in our Tenants Liability Form (Word) and send it to the address included on the form, or to We will decide whether or not you need to pay for the repair.


Windows Council Tenants Disabled/OAPs
Internal timber, UPVC or tile window sills (unless affected by rot or woodworm) X
Skirting boards and picture rails (unless affected by rot or woodworm) X
Window vents X


Door Council Tenants Disabled/OAPs
Internal doors, ironmongery, and threshold strips (unless affected by rot or woodworm) X


Floors Council Tenants Disabled/OAPs
Concrete floors (not including floor tiles) X
Vinyl floor tiles where we fitted them (we will only do full replacement in bathrooms, toilets and kitchens) X
Floorboards and joists X
Loose floor coverings and fitted carpets X


Ceilings​ ​Council ​Tenants ​Disabled/OAPs
Major plasterwork​ ​X
Minor repairs to plasterwork, such as cracks and small holes (less than six inches or 150mm square)​ X​ X​


Fireplaces​ ​Council ​Tenants ​Disabled/OAPs
Fireplaces X
Sweeping chimneys​ ​X


Staircases Council Tenants Disabled/OAPs
Staircase, banisters and handrails X


Bathroom Council Tenants Disabled/OAPs
Bath panels (unless we damaged them while doing other repairs, but replacements may not match existing panels) X
Wooden airing cupboard panels, frames, door and shelving (unless affected by woodworm or rot) X
Internal pipework boxing, but only if we originally fitted it X


​Kitchens ​Council ​Tenants ​Disabled/OAPs
​Kitchen cupboards (we will replace cupboards that are beyond repair but not necessarily to match
existing units)

​Cupboard drawers

Cupboard door catches, handles and hinges ​X
Worktops. We will replace worktops that are beyond repair  due to normal wear and tear but not necessarily to match existing​ ​X

Hallways and walls

Hallways Council Tenants Disabled/OAPs
Hat and coat rails X
​Light switches X


Plumbing Council Tenants Disabled/OAPs
Water service pipes, overflow pipes and water tanks X
Blocked sink, bath and hand basin waste pipes X
Blocked toilet the first time only, unless the drain is faulty X
Taps, stop cocks, and wheel valves X
Sink unit X
Wash hand basin X
Toilet flushing systems X
Toilet seats X
Bath or shower tray X
Plugs and chains X
Shower, if we own it X
Seal between the bath or sink unit and tiles X
Bleeding of radiators X


Alarms Council Tenants Disabled/OAPs
Smoke alarms (when we fitted them but not including the battery) X
Carbon monoxide alarms X

Internal decoration

Internal decoration Council Tenants Disabled/OAPs
Internal decoration X

Home security

Home security Council Tenants Disabled/OAPs
Extra door and window locks X
Security door chains and spyholes X

Home energy efficiency

Home energy efficiency Council Tenants Disabled/OAPs
Draught proofing to windows (unless it is part of the frame design) X
Draught proofing to external doors (unless it is part of the frame design) X
Separate hot-water cylinder jackets (after we have supplied the first one) X

Low-energy light bulbs


Repairs to communal areas

If you notice a problem with:
  • a lift
  • communal television aerial
  • door entry system
  • electronic barriers and gates
  • gutting
  • broken main entrance door of a block
You should phone the repairs operation centre on freephone 0800 952 5555 or report a repair online.

Right to Repair

As part of the government's Right to Repair scheme we must:
  • fix urgent repairs that could affect your health, safety or security if they are not done quickly within a certain period of time
  • arrange for these repairs to be done within the specified time limit, otherwise you have the right to ask us to get a second contractor to do them. 
If they are not done within the extra time allowed for the second contractor, you may be entitled to compensation.
In some situations where a repair is more complex or we need an inspection visit, we can increase the time we take to do the repair.
Right to Repair only covers repairs that cost under £250. It does not apply if you or a member of your household or a visitor caused the damage.
Back to top