Licences for animal related businesses

Riding schools and stables licence

You need a licence to run a riding school or stables. This is to ensure the welfare of the animals and the safety of the public. Newham Council is the licensing authority for riding schools and stables. It is against the law to run a riding school without a licence.

Application fee for a riding school licence

When you apply for the licence you will have to pay for the inspection cost of a veterinary surgeon appointed by the council plus an additional sum of £100 per year. Please contact Animal Welfare who will advise you of the total cost.

After you submit form, make a note of the reference number and write it on the back of a cheque payable to the London Borough of Newham. 

Apply for a licence

Inspection of riding schools and stables

We will inspect your premises and horses, with a vet before we agree to give you a licence. We may also inspect at any time after we have issued you with a licence. The length of the licence depends on the star rating you receive. Please contact animal welfare for a copy of the licence conditions.

Renewing a licence to run a riding school or stables

If you already have a licence, we will write to you to tell you when you need to renew it.

To renew your licence, complete the online application form and send your fee by cheque made payable to London Borough of Newham. Please ensure you write your reference on the back of the cheque.

It is your legal responsibility to make sure that you have a current licence. If you don't, you may receive an umlimted, a prison sentence or both and all costs incurred by the London Borough of Newham.

Renew a licence