The Building a Fairer Newham Corporate Plan sets out how Newham Council will help residents through tough times and live happy, health and well.
The Plan sets out eight priorities that will focus all our energy in delivering for our communities.
- A healthier Newham and ageing well
- Newham’s inclusive economy to support you in these hard times
- Your neighbourhood
- Safer Newham
- Homes for our residents
- Supporting our young people
- People powered Newham and widening participation
- A campaigning Council
Discover how we’ve already started delivering since May.
Read the Corporate Plan to find out more about how we will implement these priorities.
We are one of the fastest growing, young, and diverse boroughs in the country. We have over 351,000 people living in Newham. We are the third fastest growing borough in London. Over seven in ten residents are from Black, Asian, and ethnically diverse communities.
We are at the heart of a new inclusive economy. Our economy is becoming the place to work and invest. We are home to international districts like Royal Docks and Stratford. Stratford has also become the busiest station in the UK. These has helped us have the third highest rate of jobs growth in London.
However, we have deep rooted inequalities. A quarter of our neighbourhoods are the most deprived in the UK. After housing costs, almost half of our residents live in poverty. The cost of living emergency will disproportionately hit our residents.
The pandemic has shown we can build on the solidarity of our partners and communities. We have mobilised organisations across sectors to deliver over 200,000 parcels to those who cannot afford to get food. We are working with businesses to increase the number becoming London Living Wage employers.
Getting stuff done to deliver our priorities
That is why we are focusing all our energy as a Council to build a fairer Newham. We are already starting to deliver on these new priorities, for example:
- Providing over £250,000 of assistance to families with food and energy, and helping residents secure £600,000 of benefits entitlements.
- Expanding our team of community safety officers to keep people safe.
- Agreed for £1.2 million to invest in children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities.
- Providing over £800,000 of grants to grassroots projects through our Community Assemblies.
- Launching a Cost of Living Crisis Response to work collectively across the borough to support our residents during these hard times.
Examples of what we will be delivering over the next four years include:
- Delivering another 1,500 social rent homes our residents can afford, as part of a £2 billion investment in housing delivery.
- Developing Family Hubs to provide wrap around support for families
- Investing £40 million in the coming four years to keep our streets and neighbourhoods clean for our residents.
- Pilot Stratford as a Green Zone to model an environmentally sustainable neighbourhood and develop our first Green Budget.
- Develop a network of data economy hubs in delivering our Newham Sparks vision.
Find out what we will be delivering over the next four years in our Corporate Plan.