Newham Adults Autism Survey
Newham Council is updating the Newham Autism Strategy for Adults and we would like to hear from residents about what works well and what could change to make Newham a great place for autistic adults and carers to live in.
A Strategy is a plan of things to do over a period of time. Our plan will last from 2021 to 2024.
National Autism Strategy
On the 21 July 2021 the government published a National Autism Strategy.
It has 6 main areas to focus on. We are going to use the same areas so that the two plans work together for you, and so that we can make our local plans meet the national plans.
You can also read an Easy Read version of the National Strategy.
Have Your Say
We want to hear what is working well, what is not working or what is difficult, so that we can write a good plan. Hearing your views will help us decide what is most important and which services to spend money on.
The closing date of the survey is Monday 1 November at 5pm. This is the last day you can respond online. If you start a survey and save it, you must finish it by this date.
Who can take part?
- If you are autistic, aged 18 or older and live in Newham. This also includes those who live in a placement (care home, supported living, shared lives or residential colleges) outside of Newham, but paid for by Newham Adult Social Care or NHS Newham (the Clinical Commissioning Group).
- You can also complete the survey if you think that you are autistic, but have not had a diagnosis (or are waiting for a diagnosis). You need to be aged 18 or older and a Newham resident.
- You are an unpaid carer, family member or friend who supports an autistic adult (who meets the criteria above).
How long will the survey take?
The survey will take approximately 30 minutes to complete. If this is too long, you can start the survey and save it part way. You will be emailed a link to follow to finish the survey. We will only be sent surveys that are fully completed.
Can I get support to complete the survey?
Yes, we have a number of ways that we can help you.
Over the phone
Get support over the telephone weekdays between 2pm and 5pm:
- Mondays and Tuesdays (to 11 October), call Sumaiyah on 07929 673056
- Wednesdays and Fridays, call on Daniel 020 3373 0731 or Nicola on 020 373 0730
- 7 October, call Noreen 07814 615350
- 14, 21 and 28 October, call John on 020 3373 8272 or 07866 152925
Face-to-face support in the libraries
There will be Newham Council staff available to help you complete an online version at:
- Stratford Library from 10am-4pm on Friday 1 October 2021
- East Ham Library from 10am-4pm on Friday 15 October 2021
If you would like an Easy Read version of the survey please call the numbers above or email [email protected]
What happens after I complete the survey?
We will give ourselves 6 weeks to read what you have said and see what is working well and what needs to be improved.
Near the end of the survey, you will be asked if you want to be contacted, about what you said in the survey or if you would like to be part of some planning groups. We will contact you if you said yes. We will talk to you, to service providers and to other departments in health and social care to write up our next Autism Strategy.
If you tell us in the survey that you want to be contacted and then change your mind, you can do this.
Feedback from responses may be used in the Newham Autism Strategy 2021-2024. We will not write the name of the person who gave the answer. This will be kept private.
Newham Council is the Data Controller and personal data that you provide will be used by Newham Council to comply with the Data Protection Act 2018. To find out more about how we use, store and protect your data visit the Newham Council website or email [email protected]