Home exchange

Exchanging your home

Find out how to swap your home with other council or housing association tenants using our mutual exchange scheme.

You may also want to think about exchanging your home if you live in, but do not need, a home that is accessible for a wheelchair user.

You can exchange your home if you and the person you want to exchange with are council or housing association tenants in Newham or elsewhere in the UK.

The landlord must agree to the exchange and you must have the right to do so under Section 92 of the Housing Act 1985.

As mutual exchange is a self-help scheme, you are expected to find your own exchange partner.