Community engagement in regenerating Newham
The community is at the heart of our work. We are regenerating Newham together, to benefit the people who live and work here, and those who visit.
Whether you have something to say about local services, want to find out more about the plans for the area or about how the regeneration affects you, there is a way to get involved.
The Canning Town and Custom House Charter (PDF) is for the tenants, leaseholders and freeholders directly affected by the regeneration.
The Canning Town and Custom House Residents’ Charter makes the following commitments by the Council:
- If you are a Council tenant who has to be rehoused as a result of the regeneration, you will have the right to stay in, or return to, Canning Town and Custom House.
- You will also have the right to be rehoused in a council property and remain a council tenant.
- You will have the right to be rehoused in a property with the same number of bedrooms.
- You will be granted priority bidding status under the choice-based lettings scheme.
- You will be entitled to a home loss payment of £6,400 as well as a disturbance payment.
- The Council will pay your removal costs and other reasonable costs connected with moving.
Freeholders and leaseholders:
- If you are a homeowner and the Council has to acquire your home, the Council will pay the market value for your home plus 10% if you live in the property and 7.5% if you don’t live in the property.
- The Council will also pay for your removal costs and cover your disturbance expenses.
- The Council will also cover any reasonable legal and surveying fees when you buy a new home.
- You will have a right of first refusal to buy a new property in the regeneration area.
All residents (tenants, leaseholder and freeholders) will have access to independent advice.