Admissions to secondary schools
Your child will move on to secondary school after finishing Year 6 in primary school. On this page you can find how to apply for a Year 7 secondary school place.
For information on how to apply for entry into other year groups in secondary school, go to our In year admissions page.
Starting Year 7 at secondary school – September 2020
If your child was born between 1 September 2008 and 31 August 2009, you will need to apply for a secondary school place for September 2020.
If your child lives in Newham you will need to apply through us.
If your child lives outside Newham, but you want him or her to go to school in Newham, you will need to apply to the local authority in the borough you live in.
Remember, you must apply for a place, even if:
- you want your child to go to the local school
- your child has an older brother or sister at the school you prefer
- the school you prefer has a priority or catchment area and your child lives within it.
What to do before you apply
Before you apply:
- read our current Starting Secondary School guide (PDF)
- visit our Secondary School Fact Finder
- read the admission rules for each school you wish to apply to
- read any extra rules published by the school if it is oversubscribed (has more applicants than places)
- decide which schools you want to apply to – you can name six
- read the eAdmissions information leaflet on applying (PDF).