The Council has launched #HelpNewham – a way of delivering support to residents who are most in need.
If you are in one of the priority groups listed below or want to refer someone who is in need of support, please complete the form below or email us at [email protected] or call 0208 430 2000.
Council employees are proactively calling residents who we think identify as being within one of the above categories. We may ask you questions about how you are feeling mentally and physically and whether or not you are coping financially. This is so we can direct you to the services in Newham that will be most helpful to you. Under no circumstances will we ask for payment, or bank details, or any passwords you might have.
#HelpNewham offers support to:
- Residents aged over 70 who live alone and do not have the support of friends or family
- Those who receive support through adult social care and who have health conditions identified by the NHS
- Young people whom we care for or support through social services
- Families with children with special educational needs and disabilities
- Members of our street homeless community
- Families living in temporary accommodation
- Those who have been contacted directly by the NHS as part of their programme to shield 1.5 million people nationwide
If you identify with any of the above Newham Council can provide you with the following support:
- Home delivery of food and essential items (e.g. toothpaste, sanitary items)
- Home delivery of prescription medication
- Someone to talk to via our befriending telephone chat service
What types of things will be in the delivery pack?
We have planned the contents of the food pack to ensure that it includes healthy, nutritious food.
The pack will include things like oats, Weetabix, milk, tea, bread, vegetable/lentil soup, tuna, nuts, rice, spaghetti, jam, baked beans, fruit and eggs.
If needed, we will also provide you with bathroom and kitchen items such as toilet paper, toothpaste, soap and washing up liquid.
How will the prescription service work?
If you already get your prescription medications delivered to your home, this will continue.
If you do not already get them delivered, please ask someone you trust to collect them for you.
If that is not possible, please call Newham’s Customer Service team on 0208 430 2000 and we will arrange for someone to help you.
What is the Befriending Chat Service?
The Befriending Chat Service will provide you with the opportunity to have a chat with one of our Council employees.
Talking to others is an important part of making sure that we are looking after our health and wellbeing.
We are not able to meet people in person at the moment but the Befriending chat service will allow you to make a tea and have a friendly chat to someone on the phone!
How do I sign up for Help Newham?
If you fall into one of the above vulnerable groups, a Council staff member will contact you directly, by either letter or phone.
If you require urgent assistance, please call our Customer Service team on 0208 430 2000.
Can I receive your support more than once?
Yes. Our plan is to provide you with support for as long as you need it.
I am not eligible for Help Newham. How else can I get help?
At this time, only residents who are considered vulnerable and fall into one of the above categories will be able to receive support through #HelpNewham.
If you, or someone you know, requires support, here are some other ways you can get help:
- Ask for help from people that you trust: It is important that you ask for help when you need it. Try calling, texting or using social media apps such as Whatsapp and Facebook to get in contact with family, friends and your neighbours. If they are healthy and able to do so, you can ask them to collect your food, essential items and medication, or call you for a chat.
- Voluntary Community Organisations: There are many organisations in the voluntary sector who are providing all kinds of support to people. Please call our Customer Service Team on 0208 430 2000 and a member of staff will be able to provide details of the most appropriate service.
To view the support services currently provided to Newham residents by our voluntary sector partners view our live map.
If you are unsure on where to get help or need urgent assistance, please call Newham Council’s Customer Service team on 0208 430 2000.