Homelessness prevention and advice

Under threat of homelessness

It is very important to us to help  prevent you from becoming homeless. To have the best chance of achieving this we need to know as soon as possible if you are under the threat of homelessness. Please contact the service using the following contact details if you believe you’re at risk of becoming homeless:

Telephone: 020 8430 2000 ext. 57445

Email: hpas@newham.gov.uk​

Homelessness can only be prevented in one of two ways. We can either help to keep you where you are, or we can assist you with moving somewhere else. Knowing the reason you are being asked to leave your home is a good starting point, as this can help inform you of the opportunities to explore. 

Staying where you are

If you are under the threat of homelessness there may be options you can explore before you need to find somewhere new to live. 

  • If you are being asked to leave by friends or family – perhaps due to overcrowding or extra costs they incur by you living in their home - you should consider what compromises you might be able to make and try and negotiate with them.
  • If you are in rent arrears, or are struggling to meet your rent with the money you have to live on, we might be able to help. We may be able to negotiate the rent with your landlord; help you increase your income by accessing employment; provide guidance on debt management and welfare benefits; or help you with  an application for discretionary housing payments to assist with any shortfall.  

Help with moving somewhere else

  • The most likely way to achieve this is by finding a home in the private rented sector. If you find somewhere yourself, we could help by negotiating the rent and tenancy term with the landlord. We may also be able tohelp with a deposit or rent in advance.
  • If you would prefer social housing and are prepared to consider properties outside of London, we could help you register with www.HomefinderUK.org. Once your application is approved, you need only bid on the properties and locations that interest you. 

When we meet with you, we will agree a Personal Housing Plan. This will set out the ‘reasonable steps’ both you and the Council agree to undertake to either help you stay where you are, or find somewhere else to live.