Apply to join the housing register
Everyone must apply online through My Newham.
Before you start
- a My Newham account
- an email address
- National Insurance numbers for all members of your household included on your application over 16 years old
- employment details for you and your partner (if applicable) if either or both of you are working at least 16 hours a week
- your address history for the past seven years with the dates that you moved in and out.
If you need to contact us, make sure you use the same email address as the one you used to register to My Newham.
If you are unable to finish the form in one go, you can save your application and finish it later. We will store it for up to four weeks from the date you start it.
Make sure your information is correct
This could be at any time up until we make an offer of a home. So if any of your details change after you apply, tell us as soon as possible.
After you send us your application
- We will send you an email that contains a temporary reference number. You will be able to use this number to track the progress of your application in My Newham.
- We will pre-assess your application, which can take up to 28 days. You will then receive an email telling you whether or not you have been successful.
- If we need you to send documents to support your application, the email will direct you to your My Newham account. Here you will find details of what you need to send.In most cases we will not need to see any documents at this stage.
- You will have 28 days to upload your documents to My Newham. We will not be able to process your application without the documents.
You must not send your documents by post. If you do, we will not be able to accept them or send them back to you.
Sending your documents and photo(s)
1. Find out what documents you need to upload
- Go to my.newham.gov.uk/housingregister and log in to your My Newham account.
- Select the 'View required documents' button. You will be given a list of documents you will need to upload to My Newham and an option to print the list.
2. Scan your documents
- Scan your documents and save them on your computer.
- Make sure you save your documents as Jpeg or PDF files. If you do not have a scanner at home, you may be able to use a scanner at your local library.
3. Upload your documents to My Newham
- Go back to My Newham and select the 'Upload documents' button.
- Choose the type of document you wish to upload from the drop-down menu.
- Use the browse button to search for your scanned version of that type of document.
- Select the 'Add' button to repeat the process for the next document.
- After you have uploaded all your documents, press the 'Submit' button.
If we ask you to send documents to support your application, we aim to tell you our decision within 28 days of receiving the last document.
Make sure that you check your email account regularly including your junk mail box.
- decide not to accept you on to the housing register
- decide to remove you from the housing register
- decide to lower your priority (give you less preference) in the housing register
- decide not to allocate you a home
- want you to renew your application
- want you to fill in a new or different form.
Appealing our decision
You have the right to ask for a review within 21 days of our decision. You will lose the right to review if you do not make your request within 21 days.
We have 56 days to make a new decision or stand by the decision we originally made, and give you our reasons. After this time you will not be able to ask for a review of the same decision.
Change of address
Change of household members
Change of contact details
Change of job
- your job has changed
- you have stopped working
- your working hours have changed to less than 16 hours or have increased to 16 hours or more.