Vehicle seizure notices

We have the power to seize a vehicle, trailer or mobile plant and their contents if we think it is being or will be used in waste crimes such as fly-tipping. 

When we can seize a vehicle 

We will seize a vehicle if it has been: 

  • Used to illegally dump waste (fly-tipping) in a way that could cause pollution to the environment or harm to human health 
  • Driven by someone not registered as a waste carrier 
  • Used to transfer waste to someone not registered as a waste carrier 
  • Used at a site that is breaking the rules of an environmental permit. 

Vehicles we have seized 

We must make information about the vehicles we seize available to the public for at least 15 days. Notices are displayed on our website and at East Ham Town Hall Newham. 

How to claim a seized vehicle 

If your vehicle has been seized and you want to claim it back, you must be able to prove that you are the legal owner. You will need to send us a copy of:  

  • The V5C vehicle registration document in your name with your correct address 
  • Your current certificate of motor insurance in your name with your correct address 
  • Your driving licence as proof of ID. 

The documents must be emailed to  

We will confirm whether your ownership is accepted within three working days. If we decide not to investigate further or prosecute, you will have 10 working days to collect your vehicle. We will inform you where you can collect your vehicle from. 

You must bring original versions of your documents with you when you collect your vehicle. 

If we decide to investigate or prosecute 

We can keep your vehicle in storage for up to 15 working days if we need to investigate an offence. We may keep it longer to continue an investigation or we decide to prosecute. 

If our investigation shows that your vehicle was used for a waste crime, we will always consider prosecuting you.  We will keep your vehicle during the court process. However, if the court decides that you have committed a waste crime, they may take away your vehicle permanently.