Apply for council housing

Housing allocations

Find out how we allocate homes and who can apply for council housing. Before you apply for a council or housing association home you should check if you meet the right criteria and then submit an application to join the housing register.

Our new Housing Allocations Scheme (PDF) has further information on who qualifies for social housing.

Who can join the housing register?

Any person requesting housing assistance:

  • must be at least 18 years of age 
  • live within Newham (and show they have been living continuously in Newham for 3 years) or satisfy the Local Connection rules (see below) 
  • does not have an existing application (which is not closed or deleted).

     The residency conditions do not apply if the applicant:

  • Is a Newham tenant living in an LBN out of borough estate at Brentwood, Rainham or Aldersbrook.
  • Is owed a homeless duty by LBN under Part 7 of the Housing Act 1996.1
  • Has been placed in a domestic violence refuge outside Newham and was referred by the Council or another organisation in Newham.
  • Is seeking to move to Newham to escape domestic abuse, other violence or harassment in another area and it is unsafe for them to remain.
  • Is placed in accommodation by LBN or Newham Local Health Authority (NLHC) and is receiving services.
  • Is nominated to LBN through the Housing Moves Scheme or any other scheme to which the Council subscribes.
  • Is a traveller or gypsy and does not have 3 years residence in Newham as a result of having followed a traditional travelling lifestyle.
  • Is serving or has served in the regular forces within five years of application.
  • Has recently ceased, or will cease to be entitled to reside in Ministry of Defence accommodation following the death of their spouse or civil partner where the spouse or civil partner has served in the regular forces; and their death was attributable (wholly or partly) to that service; or is serving or has served in the reserve forces and is suffering from a serious injury, illness or disability which is attributable (wholly or partly) to that service.

You must meet at least one of the requirements for local connection to apply.

If you do not live in Newham and do not have a local connection, you will not be able to register.

Who can not join the housing register?

You can not apply to join the housing register if you:

  • Are subject to immigration control and do not have leave to remain in the UK or are unable to claim benefits or tax credits
  • Are a European citizen who has had a negative decision from the EU Settlement Scheme 
  • Are a European citizen who is not working
  • Are, in the opinion of the council owed a duty under Part VII of the Housing Act 1996 by another local authority
  • Own your home, or own residential accommodation elsewhere
  • Are currently serving a custodial sentence.

It is possible for you to be prevented from joining the housing register if:

  • Your past behaviour, or the past behaviour of a member of your household has not been acceptable and we believe that you will not be a suitable tenant
  • Action has been taken against you by us or another competent body on grounds of alleged anti-social behaviour (ASB).