warning icon
Revenues and Benefits System will be unavailable this weekendCouncil Tax Account Balances, Housing Benefit information via MyNewham & our Online Housing Benefit/Council Tax Forms will be unavailable from 5am Saturday 14 December to 10am Monday 16 December, while we complete an essential migration and upgrade.

Customers can still make payments, but online account balances may not be updated until Tuesday 17 December, we apologise for any inconvenience caused.​

Changes to care and support under the Care Act

The Care Act is changing care and support in England for the better. If you receive care and support or you are a carer, you could benefit from the changes.

What is care and support?

‘Care and support’ is the term used to describe the help some adults need to live as well as possible with any illness or disability they may have.

It can include the help given by family and friends, as well as any provided by the council or other organisations.

Many of us will need care and support at some point in our lives and most people will pay at least something towards the cost of their care.

The new national changes are designed to help you plan for the future and put you more in control of the help you receive.
Find out more about care and support (Word)

Changes from 1 April 2015

There is now:

  • a new national level of care and support needs to make care and support more consistent across the country
  • new support for carers
  • deferred payment agreements for care costs.

New national level of care and support

For the first time, there is a national level of care and support needs that all councils will consider when we assess what help we can give to you. This may result in you being eligible for care and support, and will make it easier for you to plan for the future.
Whatever your level of need, we can put you in touch with the right organisation to support your wellbeing and help you remain independent for longer.
Find out more about needs and eligibility assessment (Word)

New support for carers

You now may be eligible for support, such as a direct payments to spend on the things that make caring easier; or practical support, like arranging for someone to step in when you need a short break. You may prefer to be put in touch with local support groups so you have people to talk to.
The council covering the area where the person you care for lives can help you find the right support and you can ask them for a carer’s assessment.

Find out more about support for carers (Word)

Deferred payment agreements

Deferred payment agreements are already offered in Newham but now deferred payment agreements are available across England.
This means that people should not have to sell their homes to pay for care, as they have sometimes had to do in the past.
A deferred payment agreement is an arrangement with the council that will enable some people to use the value of their homes to pay for their care. If you are eligible, we will help to pay the care home bills on your behalf. You can delay repaying us until you choose to sell your home, or until after your death.
Find out more about deferred payment agreements (Word)


Changes to be made in April 2020

More changes to the way people pay for care and support will be introduced in 2020. These will protect people with the highest needs from facing unlimited costs, and provide more financial support to people with modest means.
Changes include:
  • a lifetime cap on care costs
  • extended financial support.

Cap on care costs

At the moment there is no limit to what care and support can cost, and this means that people with very high care needs may have to pay expensive bills.

From April 2020 there will be a new form of protection from unlimited costs. This protection is called the ‘cap on care costs.’ 

It means that no one will have to pay more than £72,000 towards the care element of the costs of meeting their eligible needs in their lifetime, and many people will pay much less.

This applies to people funding their own care and support, as well as those helped by the council.
Find out more about a cap on care costs (Word)

Extended financial support

We will provide more financial help for those who need it and people with modest means will benefit too. Currently, only people with less than £23,250 in assets and low incomes can get help with their care and support costs.

The changes will mean that people with £118,000 worth of assets or less, could be eligible to receive financial support if they need to move to a care home.

The amount they receive will depend on an assessment of their finances and personal circumstances. We will look at what assets and income a person has and decide how much they can afford to contribute towards the cost of their care and support.  

Back to top