Rented property licensing

Temporary licence exemption

You can apply for a temporary exemption notice (TEN) if you are taking steps which mean the property will not need a licence. For example, you are selling the property.

You can only make an application if you are the owner or person in control of the property.

A temporary exemption notice lasts for three months. You can renew for an extra three months in special circumstances. If the property still needs a licence after this period of time, you must apply for a property licence straight away.

Before you apply, read our guide to temporary exemption notices (PDF).

Apply for a temporary exemption notice (TEN)