warning icon
For the most up to date service disruptions and information on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) please follow these links

Fees and charges

Our fees and charges only cover the cost of setting up and running the privately rented property licensing scheme.​​​​​​

Selective and additional licence applications

​Type of licence
New application fee
Selective licence ​£750
​Additional licence £1250

New build properties

We offer a discounted fee of £400 for selective licences and £800 for additional HMO licences for newly-built rental properties that have not been previously lived in by residents.

We recommend that you contact us as prior to occupation of your property to discuss your application. The new build assessment cannot be considered once the property is occupied.

In order to claim this discount we require the following information from you:
  • Full address of the property to be licensed
  • 10 year warranty and insurance cover from National House Building Confederation, or similar
  • Building regulation certificate of completion
  • Confirmation the property is vacant
  • The date of the intended occupancy of the property
  • Enquiry reference number of the application commenced for the property.
Please email to before you pay for your property licence.

Mandatory licence applications

​Number of rooms New application fee ​Renewal  fee
​Up to 5 lettings
​£1050 ​£1050
​6 to 9 lettings ​£1,200 ​£1,200
​10 to 14 lettings ​£1,350 ​£1,350
​15 to 19 lettings ​£1,500 ​£1,500
​20 lettings and above ​£1,650 ​£1,650
If you apply using a paper form you will need to pay the application fee plus an additional £100.

Changes to a licence

Fees you must pay if you make a change to your licence.
Licence change Fee
​New licence holder New application fee​
​Change to licence type - single dwelling is re-let as a House in Multiple Occupation
Change to licence type - House in Multiple Occupation is re-let as a single dwelling ​£150
If you wish to operate a house as an HMO, it must have the correct class of planning use. You may need to apply for planning permission to change it from C3 (dwelling house) to C4 (house in multiple occupation).

There is no guarantee that your planning application will be approved, but if you rent out your property you must have a property licence. If you are refused planning permission for an HMO we cannot refund your licensing fee.



We will give you a refund if:
  • you have made a duplicate application
  • you made an application for an exempted property by mistake
  • We refuse your application.
We will not give you a refund if: 
  • you withdraw your application
  • we revoke (take away) your licence
  • you are refused planning permission for an additional or mandatory licence.

Our fees are not connected to the length of a licence. If you cancel your licence before it expires, we cannot give you a refund for any unused time.​

Back to top

Contact us

  • Property Licensing
    London Borough of Newham
    Newham Dockside
    1000 Dockside Road
    E16 2QU

    020 3373 1950

    Email us