Rented property licensing

You must have a licence for every home you rent out privately in Newham. If you don't, you could face a financial penalty notice of up to £30,000 or an unlimited fine from the court.

House with a 'To let' sign
Apply for a licenceRenew an existing licenceComment on a draft licence or revocation noticeReport an unlicensed property  

It’s time to renew your House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) licence

On 15 June 2017, The London Borough of Newham’s Mayor and Members agreed to introduce an additional licensing scheme covering most of the borough.

This means all Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) that are privately rented and occupied under a tenancy or a licence, will require an HMO licence. 

This scheme comes into force on 1 January 2018 until 31 December 2022. 

During this time, any person who operates an HMO property without a licence, or breaches their licence conditions will be committing an offence. 

Newham is offering an early bird discount of up to £450 per property  for applications received by 14 December 2017. After this time, the regular licensing fee will be £1,250.
When the application has been submitted, the Property Licensing team will process the application and send the new licence by post. Landlords will then be able to carry on renting their properties to tenants in Newham.

What about selective licensing?

The London Borough of Newham has designated an area in its district as subject to Selective Licensing.

The designation shall come into force on 1 March 2018.


Apply for a property licence

Before you apply

Check which type of licence you should apply for. There are several types of property licence: mandatory, selective and additional.

You must also make sure you know which type of application you should make. There are four types of application: new, renewal, variation and revocation. 

If your property does not have a licence and you are taking steps which mean it will not need a licence, you can apply for a temporary exemption.

Apply for a licence

Usually the person who is in control of the property (the person who receives the rent) makes the application and is the licence holder. This could be the owner or landlord, however it could also be a manager employed by the owner.

You must apply for one licence per property. You cannot transfer a licence to another person.

Apply for a licence

After you have applied

Once you have made your application tacit consent does not apply. This means that you do not automatically have a licence. We must process and approve your application before you are granted a licence.

We will tell you and any other interested parties whether we plan to grant or refuse a licence within eight weeks of receiving your application. This will be followed by a 21 day consultation period which gives you and all interested parties the chance to ask questions, challenge our decision or make comments.

We will give you the notice that grant or refuses a licence, as well as a copy of the licence at the end of this consultation period.

Comment on a draft licence or revocation notice

Appealing the decision to refuse a property licence

If you do not agree with the license decision or the terms of your licence, you can appeal to a Residential Property Tribunal (RPT). You will have 28 days from the date on which the decision was made.
You should write to:
Residential Property
10 Alfred Place
Tel: 0207 446 7700
Fax: 01264 785 060

Property licensing fees and charges

Our fees cover the costs of running the property licensing scheme.

Temporary licence exemption

You can apply for a temporary exemption notice (TEN) if you are taking steps which mean the property will not need a licence. For example, you are selling the property.

You can only make an application if you are the owner or person in control of the property.

A temporary exemption notice lasts for three months. You can renew for an extra three months in special circumstances. If the property still needs a licence after this period of time, you must apply for a property licence straight away.

Before you apply, read our guide to temporary exemption notices (PDF).
Apply for a temporary exemption notice (TEN)

Unlicensed properties

If you do not licence your property

It is now against the law for any landlord to rent out a property in Newham without a licence. We work with the Metropolitan Police and other agencies across Newham to find unlicensed properties and take legal action.
Landlords with unlicensed rented properties can face a financial penalty notice of up to £30,000 or an unlimited fine from the court.​ You could also have control of your unlicensed properties taken away from you, and be ordered to repay up to 12 months rent to us or your tenants. 

Report an unlicensed property

If you suspect a private rented property within the borough to be unlicensed, you can tell us using our online form.
Report an unlicensed property
We may use this information to help our investigation work.

Property Licensing Register

By law we have to keep a register of:
  • licensed properties
  • temporary exemption notices issued (relating to property licensing)
  • management orders.

Search the Property Licensing Register

You can find out if a property is licensed on the Property Licensing Register.

Select 'Licences', then search for the property address.

Designation of an area for Additional Licensing

The London Borough of Newham has designated an area in its district as subject to Additional Licensing.

The designation shall come into force on 1 January 2018.

Full details are contained in the Public Notice: Designation of an area for Additional Licensing.
Back to top

Contact us

  • Property Licensing
    London Borough of Newham
    Newham Dockside
    1000 Dockside Road
    E16 2QU

    020 3373 1950

    Email us