warning icon
For the most up to date service disruptions and information on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) please follow these links

Rented property licensing

You must have a licence for every home you rent out privately in Newham. If you don't, you could face a financial penalty notice of up to £30,000 or an unlimited fine from the court.​​​​​​​

House with a 'To let' sign

It’s time to apply for your property licence​

After a consultation with Newham residents, and a lengthy struggle with Central Government, we have finally received the go-ahead from the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government to introduce a new private rented sector licensing scheme.

All landlords with privately rented properties will be required to have a licence to operate legally.

Select the 'Apply for a licence' button to apply for your licence.


Apply for a property licence

Before you apply

Check which type of licence you should apply for. There are several types of property licence: mandatory, selective and additional.

You must also make sure you know which type of application you should make. There are four types of application: new, renewal, variation and revocation. 

If your property does not have a licence and you are taking steps which mean it will not need a licence, you can apply for a temporary exemption.

Apply for a licence

Usually the person who is in control of the property (the person who receives the rent) makes the application and is the licence holder. This could be the owner or landlord, however it could also be a manager employed by the owner.

You must apply for one licence per property. You cannot transfer a licence to another person.

Apply for a licence

After you have applied

Once you have made your application you will have to wait for your application to be processed. This means that you do not automatically have a licence. We must process and approve your application within ten weeks of receiving your application before you are granted a licence.

We will write to the Proposed Licence Holder if we are unable to process your application within our ten week service standard, with a new time period and the reasons for the delay. If we requests further information and you fail to provide this within the timescale set, your licence application may be rejected.

We will tell you and any other interested parties whether we plan to grant or refuse a licence within ten weeks of receiving your application. This will be followed by a 21 day consultation period which gives you and all interested parties the chance to ask questions, challenge our decision or make comments.

We will give you the notice that grant or refuses a licence, as well as a copy of the licence at the end of this consultation period.

Comment on a draft licence or revocation notice

Appealing the decision to refuse a property licence

If you do not agree with the license decision or the terms of your licence, you can appeal to a Residential Property Tribunal (RPT). You will have 28 days from the date on which the decision was made.
You should write to:
Residential Property
10 Alfred Place
Tel: 0207 446 7700
Fax: 01264 785 060

Property licensing fees and charges

Our fees cover the costs of running the property licensing scheme.

Temporary licence exemption

You can apply for a temporary exemption notice (TEN) if you are taking steps which mean the property will not need a licence. For example, you are selling the property.

You can only make an application if you are the owner or person in control of the property.

A temporary exemption notice lasts for three months. You can renew for an extra three months in special circumstances. If the property still needs a licence after this period of time, you must apply for a property licence straight away.

Before you apply, read our guide to temporary exemption notices (PDF).
Apply for a temporary exemption notice (TEN)

Unlicensed properties

If you do not licence your property

It is now against the law for any landlord to rent out a property in Newham without a licence. We work with the Metropolitan Police and other agencies across Newham to find unlicensed properties and take legal action.
Landlords with unlicensed rented properties can face a financial penalty notice of up to £30,000 or an unlimited fine from the court.​ You could also have control of your unlicensed properties taken away from you, and be ordered to repay up to 12 months rent to us or your tenants. 

Report an unlicensed property

If you suspect a private rented property within the borough to be unlicensed, you can tell us using our online form.
Report an unlicensed property
We may use this information to help our investigation work.

Property Licensing Register

By law we have to keep a register of:
  • licensed properties
  • temporary exemption notices issued (relating to property licensing)
  • management orders.

Search the Property Licensing Register

You can find out if a property is licensed on the Property Licensing Register.

Select 'Licences', then search for the property address.


Apply for a licenceRenew an existing licenceComment on a draft licence or revocation noticeReport an unlicensed property  
Back to top

Contact us

  • Property Licensing
    London Borough of Newham
    Newham Dockside
    1000 Dockside Road
    E16 2QU

    020 3373 1950

    Email us