Mayor of London’s Warmer Homes Scheme
Warmer Homes Programme
The Warmer Homes Programme by the Mayor of London is aimed at supporting Londoners with the Energy and Cost of Living Crisis. The Programme will provide free heating, insulation, and ventilation improvements for low-income Londoners who own their own homes or rent privately to ensure homes are made warmer and more environmentally sustainable. The benefits of the scheme included reduced energy use leading to lower energy bills and reduced carbon emissions.
Eligible low-income homeowners and private tenants can receive grants of between £5,000 and £25,000. The amount of funding granted would depend on the current home energy efficiency rating, tenure, and the home’s fuel type (i.e. gas, electricity, oil, or LPG).
Applicants will need to provide proof of eligibility and details about their property. If the application is successful, a necessary survey of the property would take place to decide which relevant energy efficiency measures are most suitable for the property.
What energy efficiency measures are available?
- heat pumps
- insulation for walls, lofts, and floors
- heating system improvements or repairs
- draught proofing
- solar energy installations
A full list of improvements available under the scheme can be found on the London.gov.uk website.
RetrofitWorks manage all surveys and installations and will provide a dedicated contact to explain what improvements are most suitable and ensure that works are carried out efficiently.
Please see the Programme website for more information.
Are you eligible?
To apply you need to:
- live in Greater London
- own or rent your own home, landlords can apply as long as the tenant is eligible
- Receive a means-tested benefit OR have a low household income (less than £20,000 a year after rent/mortgage and council tax deductions)
- Have a property EPC rating of D, E, F, and G*
*EPC ratings can be determined at the survey stage (if the home has an expired EPC or None)
Link to Find an energy certificate - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Why should I apply?
- The improvements will make the property warmer/ more energy efficient
- Living in a properly heated home can improve your health, particularly if you have vulnerabilities or a long-term health condition negatively affected by the cold
- Lower energy bills, saving you money!
- More efficient and low-carbon heating which is better for the environment
- You won't have to pay anything towards the work (except for a contribution from some private landlords receiving the Sustainable Warmth element)
If you need help determining your eligibility or completing the application, you can contact the Warmer Homes Service Desk via email or call 0800 029 3576 for assistance.
How to apply
Review your eligibility and fill out the Warmer Homes Programme application form.
Relevant information on energy saving in homes is available on the Energy Saving Trust website.